Cline Farm Social/Charitable BBQ invitation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary in VA

Head Chef
I would like to extend an invitation to the Forum people here to our farm just outside of Harrisonburg, Virginia in July for a social BBQ gathering/charitable event.

Let me first explain where this is coming from. For the past few years Linda and I have hosted a gathering at our house around mid July where I provide the meat and our friends and family bring a covered dish to share. There is also normally a pretty good fireworks show that evening. It has turned into an event of around 150 people. Along with that I have also wanted to get the teams and fellow BBQers that I have met along the way at competitions and on the forums together for a social cook and good time to share our BBQ with one another. So, I thought, why not combine the two ideas and make a private charitable event out of it and show some people the vast variety of flavors and spice that exists in BBQ.

This is the way I envision this thing going down. On Friday, July 21 those interested in joining this gathering and cooking would gather at our farm and set up camp. Friday night each can bring whatever they wish to cook and share with the other BBQers. It will be a social gathering and overall good time. Saturday, July 22, I will provide the meats to you and your team, all you need to do is prep and cook it like you would normally cook for yourself or competition or whatever. We will also provide the side dishes to feed the guests. I figure we will plan to serve around 6:00pm. You will also be welcome to invite friends and family to this event. All food will be provided to the guests. The guests will just be asked to give a donation to charity. The charities that I have chosen for this event will be the Mennonite Disaster Service and the Brethren Disaster Service. Both organizations have very little overhead and all moneys go to helping out in disaster situations such as hurricane Katrina.

What I need to know from you is if you are interested in coming and having a good time and if you can help to cook for some good charitable organizations. You are invited to join us regardless of whether or not you can cook for this event or not.

If you do plan to set up, camp out at the farm and cook for the crowd, I would need to know the following:

When would you be arriving on Friday and how much space do you need to set up?

What would you like to cook? Pork? Brisket? Chicken? Ribs?

What quantity can you cook? How many butts? Etc… (you can cook one or more than one – do your specialty)

Do you have ANY suggestions for me? Mainly because I have no idea what I am doing here, just winging this.

How many people are you bringing with you as your cooking team, and how many friends and family are coming to eat on Saturday?

This is still in the planning stages, although I am pretty sure the date is set to be July 21, 22 and if you want to stay the night of the 22 and head out Sunday the 23, you are more than welcome to do that too. I know this is pretty far in advance at the moment but I am trying to find out how many are interested in participating in this and making sure I can pull it all together for a good cause.

Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions. I am looking forward to this event and hope it will be a success. Of course, directions to our place and all the other formalities will be forthcoming.

Also, If you know of a team or individual that I haven’t contacted that would enjoy this. Please feel free to ask them and let me know. I plan on asking some other teams at Danville this year that I don’t have contact information for.

Thanks

Gary Cline

Gary’s Barbeque

Excellent!.. I was hopin you would make it Hoss! More info to follow as plans develop. So far I have about 8 that say it is a good possibility they will make it to cook. Gonna be a great time

Yep.. he was one of them.. Chris Capell sent the message on to a few more and I am starting to get some "maybes" from them as well as Chris. Looks like this thing might turn into a gen u wine Shin dig!

more info to come....

Hoss's BBQ said:
Hoss's Is planning on being there I can fit some meat on my cooker. Once again I have to put a disclaimer in about me getting the time off yet I will be putting in for it this week or so. Would do a friday through sunday deal.

Hoss, whats your status now? Still planning on making it?

I will also add that the invitation is still open if you wish to come and cook or just to come and join the festivities.

The more the merrier.

AND... I believe Larry is comming.. so.. entertainment will be provided. :razz:

Gary in VA said:
I will also add that the invitation is still open if you wish to come and cook or just to come and join the festivities.

The more the merrier.

Free rides with Uncle Larry
chair.GIF

Bill The Grill Guy said:
[quote="Gary in VA":hwgat2jd]I will also add that the invitation is still open if you wish to come and cook or just to come and join the festivities.

The more the merrier.

Free rides with Uncle Larry
chair.GIF
[/quote:hwgat2jd]

You bastard!! 8-[ I'll be there Saturday for sure, still iffy on Friday though. Bill, "Remind me to smack yo momma" (Jackie Gleason - Buford T. Justice, a classice from Smokey and the Bandit)

brian j said:
[quote="Gary in VA":26qi0cd0]Sorry guys.. I can't make it.. will be out of town that day. :eek: 8-[
:)

i'll be there friday evening/night but will have to be on the road home by noon on saturday. hope that isn't a problem. :-( my nephew from wa state is visiting. :D[/quote:26qi0cd0]

bring him along!!!... if you can't.. that won't be a problem.. I understand family takes precidence sometimes. Friday night should be a good time.

brian j said:
oops. i just looked at the date of your event and the date my nephew is coming over and they're not the same day. #-o so disregard my previous post. :)

You drank too much over the 4th... didn't you Brain? [-X

:lmao:

Spoke with Pigs on the Run (John Atkins) today. He will be there and is bringing a guy from PA too. And I heard rumer that Bruce B may be making the trip down as well. This is going to be a PARTY.

5.gif

Back
Top Bottom