Friday Night Butt Cook Pics!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
Nobody else posting any pics, so here goes..

2 butts, !.59 a pound I think (pics will show)...one rubbed with
Wolfe Rub, one with Woos sauce and my rub. never used Woos
before on pork, interested in how it comes out.

Haven't started the fire yet, but the butts are rubbed....here ya go...

Dang Cappy, they look good enough to eat already!! Let's see.........it takes me about 6.5 hours to drive to MB, so I could go to sleep for a bit and then pull into MB right when they're done! Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!

I'm on myself tonight. Case of butts (10) and 3 racks of ribs.

I'm feeding the Prestigous Palmetto Judges meeting on Tuesday. BBQ for the judges and Ribs for our primary sponsor.

Check it out, I'll be feeding BBQ judges on Valentines evening. What do you suppose that will cost me with the wife??

Cappy, what time are you expecting the rain in your area?

Good Q!

Jack

It's coming in after midnight, but I've got the bullet under a tree to deflect the rain!

I noticed that Jack's Old South and Pig Pounda Kappa will be at Ladsen
again this year....gotta try to make it down there...didn't you outscore
Myron one time?

Captain Morgan said:
It's coming in after midnight, but I've got the bullet under a tree to deflect the rain!

I noticed that Jack's Old South and Pig Pounda Kappa will be at Ladsen
again this year....gotta try to make it down there...didn't you outscore
Myron one time?

On more than one occasion. Remember anybody can score well on any day. I'm happy to be in the park with some of these guys. Gary Kearse from Pig Pounda Kappa will keep you in stitches. Scott McDaniel from Smoke Shack taught me more about competition BBQ than I can explain in a day. The last time I cooked with Myron he was actually said hello and waved. They say he's changed since he "retired" Will from Carolina Travelers is the one to beat on that field. He's not listed yet, but he'll be there.

Good Q!

Jack

That's gonna be a real q fight! And that's why I want all those back yard q'ers to bite the bullet and do a comp or two...you never know!

Captain, or anyone else. As a newbie to the WSM, I followed the guidelines on the virtual weber site regarding pork butt prep and hacked alot of fat off. Ended up having to tie my butts to hold them together for the cook. I notice in alot of Larry's pics and yours tonight that you don't follow that method? Should I just season and throw em on right out of the package without trimming?

kidsmoke said:
Captain, or anyone else. As a newbie to the WSM, I followed the guidelines on the virtual weber site regarding pork butt prep and hacked alot of fat off. Ended up having to tie my butts to hold them together for the cook. I notice in alot of Larry's pics and yours tonight that you don't follow that method? Should I just season and throw em on right out of the package without trimming?

Hey kid, I've never trimmed any of the fat off of a butt or a shoulder. I just rub and toss on. Others here trim, butt not me.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Where's the butts? I don't feel so bad about paying $1.29 a pound now. Excel packers 60 - 70 pounds a case.
Chris L.

Dang were can you by a whole case at , or how many come in a case , most stores only have them all ready laid out arouind here?? Ok so this may be my stupid question for the day its till early??

Captain Morgan said:

Meanwhile, Cappy's neighbors are seeing the flash from the camera and thinking...Where the hell's the thunder? Oh... that Morgon is cooking something again. Sheesh, what a wierdo ... taking pictures of his smoker. :) :grin: :grin: :grin:

Gooooooooooood morning everybody! Slept till 7 without a single beep
from the Maverick! This is why I love my WSM and my Maverick!

Rain came in, and didn't hinder a thing...temps only dropped about 10 or 15 degrees during all the rain, still rolling along.

Kidsmoke, did you buy a boneless butt? If you trim, you can still leave about a 1/4 of fat....not sure how that thing fell apart, I've never had that
happen. Most folks who trim the fat do so to get more surface area for bark, and there's plenty of fat inside, so don't worry about the meat
getting dry. I sometimes trim...just lazy yesterday.

Looks like everything is well under control, Jim! =D> :grin:

Kidsmoke, sounds like you bought bonless butts instead of bone in.

Back
Top Bottom