Bruce's Salmon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick Prochilo

Chef Extraordinaire
Bruce, I'm posting the receipe for your salmon. Hope you don't mind.

2 quarts Water
3/4 cup Kosher Salt
1/2 cup Brown Sugar, `
1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
8 each Black Peppercorns, crushed
1/4 teaspoon savory, lightly crushed

Mix all of the above ingredients together to make brine. Brine the salmon for 3 - 4 hours. Remove from brine and rinse under cold water. Pat dry with paper towels and put on rack in refridgerator uncovered around 2 - 4 hours (until pellicle forms). Before puting on smoker, brush all sides of salmon with maple syrup and sprinkle on rub of choice. Smoke for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours at 200* until internal temp. of salmon is 145* - 150*. Don't overcook or it will be dry.

Nick,

I don't mind, but that's not the brine I used for this last cook. Here is the brine I used this past week and the process I followed.

BRINE

1 gallon of water
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup soy sauce
½ cup white wine
1 tbls granulated garlic
1 tbls onion powder
1 tbls dried thyme
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dill

DIRECTIONS

Brine salmon for 3-4 hours, remove from brine and rinse with cold water. Pat dry with paper towel and then air dry on rack for at least 1 hour or until pellicle has formed on fish.

Place ½ chimney of unlit charcoal into the charcoal chamber. Light about 8-12 briquettes and place on unlit along with 2-3 chunks of alder wood, or any mild fruit wood.

Spray cooking grates with Pam or rub with potato. Brush with maple syrup, sprinkle salmon fillets with additional spices or Hi-Mountain Salmon Rub, then place into cooker.

Assemble cooker and run with top grate temp of 190-205. Smoke until fish reaches an internal temp of 145-150, no higher than 150.

Back
Top Bottom