Smoked Fish Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Green Hornet

Head Chef
Have a neighbor who came over while I was smoking the chicken yesterday and asked me to smoke up some Cobia fish that he caught. It is a salt water white fish that he says is mild in flavor. He wants me to smoke it for him. I have never attempted this before. I don't want to screw it up. He is a nice guy that has a boat and will take me fishing! Any suggestions? He said he has never had it smoked and wants to try it, so he is open to most anything. Not too hot though.
I have only played around with a frozen piece of Salmon before. If I remember I brined it for a little and put a lil bit of my rub on it. It was ok, but it is a stronger oily fish so I am not sure if this would be too overpowering.
I have the fillets skinned and frozen now and probably won't do it til next weekend. Thanks guys! Hope you can help a brutha out [-o<

It may be difficult to smoke cobia for very long without drying it out as it is lower in fat than say salmon or bluefish. It's better for grilling or blackening. You could rub it with mayo or mustard, salt & pepper, sear it lightly over hot coals and finish indirect in smoke to give it that "smoked" flavor. It would be interesting to see how it turned out brined and smoked though.

Wrap it in bacon, how bad could it turn out to be, it's bacon for God's sake.
:grin: :grin:

Thats what I was affraid of oompappy, I do not want to dry it out. I had read of some pretty long smoke times of up to 20 hrs at very low temps.
Bruce you might be on to something.....UUUUUUUUUUMMMMMM BACON! :D
I still have some time if you think of something I will check back. Thanks =D>

GH, How thick are the fillets? If they are thick like salmon, smoking may work, but if they are thin then grilling would be the way to go. Add some smoke would to your grill and it will give it a smokie flavor.

Back
Top Bottom