KCBS Judge Class

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kickassbbq

Senior Cook
I told my buddy that after I get Certified as a KCBS Judge this coming weekend in St. Louis, that I would be charging for any information I give about BBQ. Smoking, preparing meats, woods, rubs, temps, you name it, there's a fee.
He said he was going to kick my ***.
My wife asked "Why do you want to be a Certified BBQ Judge?"
I told her it would look good on my resume.
She said, "You don't have a resume!!!!"
I am going anyway.
Smoke On!!!!!
Ed

Eye Open?

That reminds me of when I was in prison. We always slept with one eye open!!!!!
PARTY!!!!!
ed

I know why, but I hesitate to mention it in public, things have ways of getting back. I'll PM you with at least what I beleive to be the reason.

Conspiracy????

OOOH, this all sounds like a conspiracy of sorts. Now I wonder why KCBS would not want anyone on THIS forum to know if you were a Certified Judge?
I'll bet I get the answer when I am there on Saturday!!!!!!
I love a mystery.
PARTY!!!!!
Ed

Well, when Bruce PM's ya with the reason, would you post it for the rest of us? :thx:

OK, Don't any body say I can't take a hint.

It just seems that most of the time the CBJ's on that forum take alot of grief from the comp cookers. They seem to be constantly criticized, for scoring, not understanding the rules, socializing with teams, on and on.

Some judges there who have been around since Custer was a Corporal get respect and even at times praise, but for others it appears the only real need that anybody has for them to post there is to be someone's whipping boy.

Just my .02, YMMD

You're right Bruce, but from what I've seen, you don't have to be a CBJ to be treated like that. :grin:

Forum

Joke Man,
There are a lot of BBQ Forums out there. The BBQ Forum is the LAST one I look at and usually only stay for about 3-4 seconds.
I am going to the Judge Class for something to do. I would not Judge a comp for anything in the world. As a matter of fact, I doubt if I ever attend another comp. I love to Q and do so about 3 times a week and have been doing so for 20 years, but after going to my first comp, I found it was full of GREAT people, but it was too much effort for me.
And, some of the Q I saw there, I would not want to have to sample!!!!
Party.
ed

Judging

Burnt,
A little story why I don't want to Judge a comp. When at my first comp (one man team, me) after turn in, I was talking to the team next to me. They were really wonderful young men with MANY championship trophies from MANY comps (you guys probably know them).
They told a story about getting too drunk at night and when they woke up the fire was out on there Butts. They pulled them off and the blood was still running out of them. They all laughed and shrugged their shoulders and picked some Butt from the edges and turned it in anyway. I did think it was funny at the time, but now I don't think I want to be tasting samples of Q like that and I'm sure it does happen.
I took home 2 first place trophies from that first comp and I think I'll leave it at that. Quit while on top of the game!!!!
It was a GREAT learning experience, and everyone I met were great people, but I am going to leave the comps to people that are more serious about BBQ than me.
I just wanna crank up the Ol' Lang and Brinkmann about 3 times a week and smoke for myself and family. We are the ONLY Judges that matter.
PARTY!
ed

Ed, I hear ya about the BBQ Forum ~ I rarely post over there anymore and just pick through the garbage for the good stuff ~ Recipes..And there are a few good threads from time to time... I missed out on becoming certified at Oinktoberfest this past year but they're gonna offer it again this year. It's also being offered at Lake Placid around Independence Day..Between the 2, I'll probably take it. Don't know if I'll ever compete or judge for that matter, but I do want to know what they're looking for.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom