Smoker Pit TOO hot!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have a stick burner, but my first guess is that there was too much wood in there...perhaps someone with wood burner experience can jump in here and help! :!:

Doesn't matter what kind of pit. You chuck that much wood in it, It will go wild and spike like that. I would strongly suggest using the biscuit test and far less wood till you learn fire control the fire of your pit. Every darn one is different, At Oinktoberfest My pit went wild high in temps. Ask The Joker, He was there. They can fool you sometimes.I have used that pit for over 10 years now. It just didn't want to behave that day. I was lucky to get the temps down. Poor planning and poor fire control was my fault, NOT the pits fault.

Just a matter of time to learn the pit. Less fuel, less air, less heat.
Not a stick burner here, but I would think you would need to close the
bottom vents more before the top to control the heat without killing the draft.

It got a good seasoning, now just back off a bit..and remember, pork butts are forgiving. You'll be ok.

deputynrc said:
Well I'm new to "smoking" but have been grilling over wood for a long time. I just purchased an "Oklahoma Joe's" Brand pit (saving Money for a GATOR!). I just finished seasoning it. I have read numerous posts where it takes 45min- 1 1/2 hrs to "get pit up to temp". I used Oak wood and my pit spiked at 450 degrees within 15 min. This was with 4 pcs of oak 12-15in in length and 3-4in in diameter. I noticed if I left the lid to the fire box open, the pit temp would remain at 250-300deg. As so as i closed it, the temp would jump up to 350-425. I know the temp guages are located in the wrong place (top of pit) but that should only be a difference of 50 degrees. #-o

Maybe I should just wait untill I can afford the Gator!!! Or maybe my problem is being from California!!

Thanks for any help in advance!!

deputynrc said:
The temps stayed high even after letting it burn down. I guess I will try a slower approach next time. One thing for sure, got a real good seasoning in it after playing with it for 4 hours. I am going to try Pulled Pork the first time. Thanks for the tips

Welcome to the board Deputy. Now first question, "was your thermometer calibrated"?

It does sound like you had a little too much wood in the pit for a "seasoning burn". I seasoned my Gator using a load of Kingsford with hickory chunks mixed in using the Minon Method and let it burn between 250-300 for around 5 hours.

Not sure how you get your fire box going but here's how I do mine, hope it helps.

I pour a nice bed of coals (Kingsford) but you can use lump, and use my log lighter to get them going. If you don't have a log lighter, just light a chimney full of coals. Once the coals are fully lit, I'll add one big log or two small logs and let them burn down till they fall apart. Then, I add another log and add my food while that log starts to burn. By the time the food is added the log is fully lit and your pit should be ready to hold a steady temp. I'll add 1 log an hour to keep a consistent temp. Each pit is different, so this will take time to learn how to control your fire/temps.

Hope this helps!

deputynrc said:
Thanks again. I have no idea if my Thermometer was calibrated. I did go out and buy a Maverick EC-73 (I think those were the numbers) Temp probe and it has a seperate probe for the Smoker so I believe that will help.

Great move, you'll be very happy with the ET-73. I have two of them and they work fantastic!! Boil a pot of water and put the probes in. Once the water boils the temps should read 212* give or take a degree or two, if so you're in good shape! You can do the same for the therm on your pit if it is removable.

A pit that size only needs about 1 log at a time. Start with 2 log that are split. When they are nearly burned out then start with one log at a time. Keep your air intake about 1/2 closed and the exhaust nearly totally open. This should help. Also, get a couple of cheap oven thermometers and place on the grates to get a truer reading of you inside temps at grate level.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom