Turkey Practice Cook Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
On the rotisserie at 1:15pm, 25 coals on each side, cherry and pecan wood.
3:10pm 171 in the leg and 156 in the breast, almost ready.

Man, with as much turkey as being cooked today, maybe we should just have all the relatives over this evening and call it Thanksgiving.

Looks good and about done there Bruce.

Bruce, do you bank your coals or use the baskets? Try to remember takig a pic when the rotis comes off the bird ~ I'm curious what those lines are gonna look like. :eek: 10 pounder? Brined? What rub? It looks damn good! =P~

Bill The Grill Guy said:
[quote="The Joker":1kxqpnjn]Try to remember takig a pic when the rotis comes off the bird ~ I'm curious what those lines are gonna look like.

TAN LINES![/quote:1kxqpnjn]

I was thinking JAIL BIRD but, that's good too!!

Bird weighed 12.66lbs, already pumped with a 6% solution, used Montreal Chicken Seasoning for the rub and sprayed with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, cooked btw 325-350 most of the 2 1/2 hour cook.

Used Weber charcoal baskets on each side of bird with 25 coals in each basket, cherry and pecan wood.

Bird is wrapped in cooler now will take pics when carving around 6ish.

Bruce, I notice an onion in the bottom of the grill. Did that fall out of the cavity or did you put in in the coals for the flavor? What temp did you pull it and where did you measure it, thigh or breast? Looks great!

Gotta suggestion for a nice dipping sauce for the turkey if you are interested. Mix equal parts of Reverend Marvins "Hot" and mayonaise together. I experimented with it a couple weeks ago and it was great on turkey.

I had the cavity stuffed with a quartered apple and half an onion, by the time it was done there was a quarter onion left in the cavity. I measured temps in the thigh and the breast, I pulled it at 158 breast and 178 thigh, however, depending where I stuck the therm I was getting some higher and some lower temps, but not by much.

Here are the finished pics:

Ready to carve

Tan lines

Pinkness was from the smoke wood I believe, because it was definitely done.

Plate of bird.

TO THE BONE!!!

The bird was excellent, it was moist and tender and had a good mellow smoke flavor. All set for T-DAY. Thanks guys!!!

Pics look great, Bruce ~ Thanks!! :( Do you recall the brand name of the turkey?

Actually it was from a store called Meijers and it was a store name brand. Just bought it to practice with, it was fresh had 6% absorbed water, no mention of a solution on the package.

I'll go for brand name birds for the big day.

Sorry, I am a "traditionalist!" I only roast the Thanksgiving bird. I stuff a generous amount of sage, thyme, and rosemary under the skin, stuff it wiith a chestnut /sage stuffing, and use a rack/roasting pan. Deglaze the pan with a good amontialldo sherry, thicken for gravy. I ate so much BBQ over the summer, I yearn for some "regular" food until about January, when I'll start breaking out the vac sealed BBQ!

Back
Top Bottom