Hey 1MoreFord

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bill,

Yes, That's my pit.

It's a home brewed concoction of a new Charbroil/New Braunfel OK Joe Longhorn with an old Ok Joe Vertical Roasting Oven upright grafted on to it - The roasting oven was on older, heavier version of a Bandera.

I'll try to make a long story short.

While I liked the idea of a basically vertical pit I was never happy with the leaky firebox on the roasting oven and kinda lost interest in it. Then I saw the Longhorn at a decent price at Academy and decided to try to combine the two of them.

It's been a fun learning project. It's really rekindled my 30+ year love of Q and I now have a whole new respect for professional pit builders. While you can't see them, I've also also added a firebox baffle and a Horizon diffuser plate. This weekend I'm going to try a diffuser plate in the vertical to solve temp problems there. If this doesn't work them I'm gonna play with tuning plates

Here's the only pic I have of it on the web.

http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.com/ ... album=4355

I'm about addicted ta intenet Q. Great bunch of people and sites. Soon as I find a pic posting site I'm happy with I'll prolly start posting a bunch of the obigatory food and pit pics. [-o<

Bruce B said:
Where's your exhaust vent/chimney?

Nice looking creation you got going there. It looks like the exhaust is running through the upright? That would give you another area of cooking, right?

Bill The Grill Guy said:
[quote="Bruce B":1c0du298]Where's your exhaust vent/chimney?

Nice looking creation you got going there. It looks like the exhaust is running through the upright? That would give you another area of cooking, right?[/quote:1c0du298]

Bill; I didn't see it up there, kind of blends in with the background.

That reminds me, time to get that prescription checked. :grin: :grin:

Yes Bill, you're correct. The stack does exit the top of the vertical and the hope is to get it where it's addtional cooking space. Right now it's still more of a warming/holding chamber. But then again, I'm still makin' progress with it.

Thanks for the kind words guys. It's sure been a fun project so far and the Q from it keeps gettin' better as I learn the pit. Been lucky there so far. Even the first cook came out pretty good.

Guess the photog should get a little training so y'all wouldn't have to ask where the stack is :)

Back
Top Bottom