Knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodman1

Executive Chef
What are you guys using? I just bought two granton edge slicers this weekend. One online, a Messermeister 12" @ $39.00 on Redneck's suggestion. And , I was downtown at Dean Supply (Woodland Ave, check em out Greg) and couldn't resist the 10" Wusthoff at $69.00! It'll be interesting to see if the extra $30.00 was worth it! In catering, I will need all the slicers I can get. I was using a Ronco I got in one of those $53 for 25 knives deals, but last week, while slicing briskets for the Super Bowl party, I realized that it wasn't gonna work for 10-30 briskets! I may get a Forschner at $39.00 down the road too! One of my comp team members has a Wusthoff roll, so we're set there! Woodman

I purchased a Wusthof 7 piece set off of Amazon over Christmas.

Ended up with two for one deal, cause they included a steak knife instead of the utility knife. I called them and they sent a whole new set and have not asked for the other set back!

I bought a 3 piece set off Ebay (T Cook) made in Japan...I don't think they are great but they are much better than what I had. I need to get a sharpener but for me they work well! $50 for a chef 2 chef knives and a Santoku. :D

Susan I still have the other set in the box waiting for Amazon to ask for them back. But if they don't in the next couple of months I might try to sell 'em!

I have some Forschners and some Henckles. The Hencks were in a set with a block for 99 at Amazon. I suspect these are not the real deal, probably a low end knife by Henkle. The Forschners are better at the same price. Can't compare to the really nice Henkles, cause I don't think I have one.

Love to use my cheap electric knife to carve bone in butts hams and turkeys.

Also have an electric slicer which I love. Great for boneless cuts.

I use a carbon blade knife..A quick run over the sharpener once in a while puts a great edge on it. Our Cutco knife is awesome when its sharp but dosent seem to hold an edge..

Ill stick with my cheap carbon for now...do you guys sharpen your own or send them out ?

0068113179398_LG.jpg

Member's Mark

I'm very happy with these. :)

I need to get a forschner's granton...everyone seems to love them.
By the way, did you get the Ronco knives from one of those late night tv commercials? I bout that Ronco spray on hair a few years ago...works great! No more bald patches on my back!

I got a Sabatier grill tool set that came with a roll, and I use that for my knives....if was one of those things where Amazon claims to sell it for $129 but you can get it today for 19.99.....I overpaid about 10 dollars.
Crap....but at least I got a knife roll. :LOL:

Jim , I got the info at home, but essentially I just put "Granton Edge Slicer" in the old search engine and away I went! I'll find it when I get home! Woody

I really like unbevelled knives, so I've used Globals for years. I just got Misono UX10 Gyuto. I really recommend it if you're in the market for an unbevelled knife:

HMI-711-018.JPG

I've been using the same set of Henckels 4 Stars since 1990.

Just sharpen 'em up every once in a while with an edgeselect sharpener.

Love these knives. Gonna have to see about grinding down the bolser one of these days though.

Glad I could brighten your day BBQ. I had the same reaction.

I think one's name is Finney and the other's name is Larry. Or was that Greg and Woods?

Back
Top Bottom