Propane BBQ and Smoker in one unit. Is it possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hip2Bsquare

Assistant Cook
I love the augur pellet fed temp controlled hot smokers but I also need a propane BBQ for those times when you need to grill a burger or two. Is there a way I can have both in one unit? I prefer to buy rather than a DIY and since the smoke is indirect heat (if I am not mistaken) I don't understand why I just can't seem to find lot of companies that make them. If you know of any please let me know or if not why they don't exist.

Along the right track but I would rather use pellet fed auger rather than charcoal for my smoker side.
Ultimately it would be wonderful to have something like this (see pic) but have the main area also have a propane burner for grilling.
71de99129dabef23b174d546063b3585.jpg

The only thing close to what you are looking for that I am aware of is what Bosko posted. I think those pellet grill get hot enough to do burgers but not hot enough to put a good sear on a steak. If you are limited on space the Weber Q100 is a good choice. They are great little grills.

I guess one thing that bothers me (besides wanting to buy one and not finding a product available) is I don't understand WHY it is not available. It seems like a no brainer to me unless I am missing something fundamental in how they are constructed or work that makes them not be able to be combined.

I guess one thing that bothers me (besides wanting to buy one and not finding a product available) is I don't understand WHY it is not available. It seems like a no brainer to me unless I am missing something fundamental in how they are constructed or work that makes them not be able to be combined.

I understand now what you mean, and ya great question.....why don't they do both I would like to know that answer

Pellet Cooker/Smoker/Grill

I am not sure I understand your problem as many good pellet cookers/smokers will do a good job with most all type of cooking including cold smoking, hot smoking, baking, grilling, and searing.

img_266035_0_dbf0552dbcae4d5838b2dfc190cb4f01.jpg

img_266035_1_e54c85454e55b8e740d5db79ac1aa046.jpg

This is the type of grilling I get off of my pellet cooker and I really doubt if there are many other cookers out there that would do a much better better job with this task.

Is there something I am missing? Please explain and I will try to answer.

Dave

I think it is a time/speed thing for the OP, he wants to run outside and do a quick sear on a burger or a steak.
Can this be done on your pellet grill Dave?

I don't know, I have never had/used a pellet grill before

Dave, you pictures look great. Having not used one personally let whenever I hear other guys talk about their pellet grill they never mention that it can actually grill a steak or burger nice. Looking into that specifically now there are many who say you can but it just takes a little longer to get up to temperature.
Roughly how long does it take for you to get up to temperature to say grill a burger or steak?

Pellet Cooker

Mr Hip2Bsquare,

I guess I haven't really timed what it takes to start my grill until it is ready for burgers, chops, or steaks but I would guess about 10-15 minutes. I usually just fire the grill up and set the temp and then go into the house and prep my meat and the cooker is always ready by the time I get back to it. I usually grill at a grid temperature of around 400 to 700 degrees measured at the cooking surface.

Dave

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom