makin' bacon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Griff

Master Chef
A couple weeks ago I started some bacon. I wanted back (Canuk) bacon and buckboard bacon. So I got a pork loin and cut it in half so it would fit in the Tender Quick cure containter and the WSM. At the same time I also got a butt for the buckboard bacon. The first pic below is the bacon after 14 days in the cure. The other pic is bacon after smoking, slicing and vacuum packing.

Griff

Griff,

What is the liquid that they are soaking in. I have done Buckboard bacon before using the Hi-Mountain cure. What are you using for a cure that creates that much liquid?

Finished product looks great.

Bruce

Here's what I use:
1 package of Morton's Tender Quick
1.5 cups of maple syrup
.5 cup of molasses
.5 gal of apple cider
.25 cup of coarse ground black pepper
water to cover the meat if needed but I've never needed it.

I cure it for 14 days in the liquid in the bottom of the frig.

It starts out in all that liquid and then has to be soaked in water that is frequently changed for at least 24 hours. We had bacon sandwiches tonight. It has a great bacon flavor. I made this 5 or 6 times and am really pleased with the result.

Griff

Griff,

When you say a package of Tender Quick, do you mean the whole, I think it's a 1lb package it comes in, or what size pkg. do you use?

Thanks

Yep, I mean the whole bag. I think it's a pound but I don't have one sitting around to check. I can't remember where I got the recipe but I've been using it for over a year. All that salt is why I soak it for at least 24 hours with frequent water changes. I remember the recipe saying that if it's not really well soaked, it'll be too salty and you'll never do it again. After it's well soaked it sits until that dry surface (I think it's called "pelicule" or something like that when it's smoked fish) forms. Then into the smoker. I like lots of hickory.

Link, we just fry it up like store bought, mostly for breakfast or sandwiches. You can see it's a lot leaner than store bacon.

Griff

Thanks it looks like something I would like I need to know somethings what temp did you cook it at an what was the intrunal temp was it cook to.

Thanks agian for shareing.

Link

I smoked at 210-220* until the the internal temp was 140*. So the back bacon (loins) got to temp about an hour before the buckboard (butt).

Griff

Back
Top Bottom