smokin jerky with the WSM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends on the budget. Top sirloin is wonderful...Top Round will work good too. Bottom round and eye of round are passable for the economy minded. Thats as far as I sink. Would avoid chuck since it tends to the fatty side which aint a good trait for jerky. Do you plan to dehydrate or cook it?

Excuse rude yankees. Figgered it would be smoked. What temps are we going to try to maintain? Most jerky happens around 140-150 which are "dehydrating" temps as opposed to cooking temps. Much above that you may have something which tastes good..but might have trouble labeling it as jerky.Have you got a system to keep the heat down and or be able to control it during the drying/smoking cylce?

Recently , I made beef jerky with London Broil. It came out delicious. Tender and seasoned just right! My family tore it up. Good job dad. ;-)

Yeppers..great choice. Tom Thumb runs it for 2.99 occasionally and it turns me into a greedy goose on a buying spree. They also pass it off as flank steak sometimes but I cant tell it from Top Round..which is a good thing. I got a hot tip from a fellow who used to be in the business. He say use beef pectorals...described where to buy them and say how big they are ect. Pure lean. I just googled up and it seems to another word for brisket. They call him Maytag because he is always agitating folks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom