Spicy Coconut Encrusted Wahoo (or any white meat fish)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave'sWife

Cook
Spicy Coconut Encrusted Wahoo
(you can also use this for chicken if you omit the wasabi)

Ingredients
6 to 8 one to two inch Wahoo filets (or any white meat fish)

Coating
2 Cups of Bob's Red Mill Unsweetened Shredded Coconut, lightly toasted
2 Cups of Puffed Rice, pulsed in food processor or Blender until crumbs *See Cook's Note
1/2 teaspoon White pepper
Pinch of Ginger Powder
1 teaspoon Red pepper flakes

1 Cup Rice flour for dredging the fish (potato flour OK or regular flour)

Egg Dip
4 eggs or 1 cup egg product
1 Tablespoon of Wasabi Paste
1/4 Cup Coconut milk

Canola Oil for Frying or Cooking Spray Oil if baking

Directions:

In dry hot skillet, toast coconut flakes till golden, taking off the heat before the flakes get too brown. They will continue to brown even after they are removed from the heat. Mix Puffed Rice crumbs and toasted coconut together with the dry spices. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs together with the Wasabi paste and 1/4 cup Coconut milk. Set aside.

Dredge the Wahoo filets first in rice flour, then dip in egg mix and coat with crumb & coconut mixture.

If Frying: Heat oil in a dutch oven or fryer and when hot, fry the filets till golden and flaky (about 3 minutes on one side and 1-2 on the second side).

To BAKE: Place coated filets on a greased cookie sheet, spray top of each filet lightly with Cooking Oil Spray and bake for about 12 minutes at 375 Degrees. After 12 minutes or when bottom is nice and crispy, gently turn the filet over and return to oven for another 12 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for about 8 minutes before serving.

You could serve this with Asian Coleslaw as the side-dish . You could also slice the chicken into strips and serve atop a green salad.

To buy Unsweetened Coconut go here:
Bob's Red Mill
(They also have Gluten free products. I luv this place)
http://www.bobsredmill.com/

I also make Chicken strips using this recipe but I omit the spices and leave the wasabi paste out of the egg dip. The chicken strips are great at room temperature as leftovers or, chopped into strips and made into a sandwich with some slaw.

An alternative version of this recipe is to leave out the spices and wasabi entirely, and iinstead add one envelope of Lipton Onion Soup powder to the coconut for an oniony-coconut coating. I've done that too and works very well. That version works equally well for chicken AND fish.

I made this a few days ago and in place of the puffed rice pulsed in a food processor, I used Panko Breadcrumbs. Trader Joe's now carries Panko!! Also, in place of Wasabi, I used my fave Southwestern blend from Blazing Blends and I was very generous with it. On a couple pieces of the fish, I rubbed some more Southwestern powder on them before flouring them for an added kick.

That Bob's Red Mill Unsweetened Coconut is a bear to find in the supermarket. I finally broke down and bought some online. You might be able to get your local Food Co-Op or Organic Grocery store to stock it for you. it's only about $3.50 a bag and on e bag will make about 4 to 5 meals of this recipe.

I think I like this better with the Panko and the southwestern spice rub - it's more of a general taste than the wasabi which you either love or hate.

I been in da kitchen, Finney!

Got lots of new recipes to commit to paper and share with you all.

I did a few recipe contests not long ago, didn't win first place but got some cash and gifts for my troubles.

Actually, in addition to being in da kitchen, I was down and out with a chronic pain thing for a long time but happy to report that after a recent surgery to correct it, I'm back in the garden and back online. I sure did miss this forum. Carl DeCook emailed me a few times and I don't think I was nice enough to email him abck. (And after all he has done to make my Chicken Torilla Casseole famous! Shame on me! Shame shame shame)

Thansk for the welcome home!

Back
Top Bottom