New to bbq, quick question....or two.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ojsmitty

Assistant Cook
Well, I am brand new to bbq. I have been reading up for a few weeks, and should have my first smoker up and running by the end of next week (ordered a big poppas smoker kit). I plan on starting with some pulled pork because it seems to be easiest, and it's pretty cheap. I've also read that it is a lot more forgiving which might be important in my case. I have a few questions, though. First, I read that after it's done cooking you should let it set for 30 min to an hour to let juices redistribute. I am curious if that is correct advice? Also, if you let the meat set or if you plan to take the meat to a different location to eat how do you keep it warm? I know these are probably questions that seem silly, but like I said I am brand new. Thanks for any help in advance!

Welcome. Most typical strategy is when the meat gets done wrap in foil and throw into an empty ice chest with folded up newspapers on top and bottom. Will help the finished product to rest a bit and keep it hot/warm for a long time. Thick Styrofoam ice chest works best. If you want to take it somewhere else just load it up. How long it stays hot depends on how much meat there is. Couple butts prob still be real warmish 8 hrs later..if a person dont raise the lid to peak etc. Best of fortunes on the new hobby.

Welcome. Most typical strategy is when the meat gets done wrap in foil and throw into an empty ice chest with folded up newspapers on top and bottom. Will help the finished product to rest a bit and keep it hot/warm for a long time. Thick Styrofoam ice chest works best. If you want to take it somewhere else just load it up. How long it stays hot depends on how much meat there is. Couple butts prob still be real warmish 8 hrs later..if a person dont raise the lid to peak etc. Best of fortunes on the new hobby.
I think he's got it.;):)

I herd wheel wraps in foil and puts it under the hood of his pick up while driving to where he has to get to keep it warm.

Pigs

Yes..that should work too. Seems like old Genghis Kahn carried around raw meat under his saddle to have a snack after a hard day of raping and murdering folks. Or maybe that was Atilla. The bouncing around on it all day seems to have cooked it ok. Classic case of meat beating perhaps?

With that said, the Khan riders actually fermented goat milk and honey the same way. So...

Most of the time I use a cooler lined with newspaper to transport. And yes you really should let it rest, I would actually let it rest a bit longer than 30 or 60 min. I tend to let mine rest for at least 2 hours. Good luck on the cook.

Back
Top Bottom