OFF GURU

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Larry Wolfe said:
I gotta suggestion. Don't use the Guru and you won't have any problems!!!
I would suggest trying one prior to making a statement like that. :!:

The Joker said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":3gl5xqns]I gotta suggestion. Don't use the Guru and you won't have any problems!!!
I would suggest trying one prior to making a statement like that. :!:[/quote:3gl5xqns]

Why?? My WSM is basically "set it and forget it as it is", can't get much easier.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="The Joker":26t4kegi][quote="Larry Wolfe":26t4kegi]I gotta suggestion. Don't use the Guru and you won't have any problems!!!
I would suggest trying one prior to making a statement like that. :!:[/quote:26t4kegi]

Why?? My WSM is basically "set it and forget it as it is", can't get much easier.[/quote:26t4kegi]
Well, I'd like to see how you do with 30 - 40 mph winds. :razz: :razz:

Enough! We're in the General BBQ Forum! :eek:

Well, that ought to get a couple of 'em goin' ! :razz: I agree with you!! I fought the battle waaaay back when the Guru 1st came out ~ Wasn't even on the market yet. A couple of people (5 or 6) got 1 to try and report. This all started over on TVWB, btw. I was the lone supporter against a MUCH larger crowd than here.

Well, that was then. I don't fight those fights any more ~ Not worth it. I did my part and I thoroughly enjoy my Guru's, as you do yours. You'll find (and probably already have) that the vast majority of the naysayers have never tried the unit out. Remindes me of "Traditional BBQ"!! :eek:

Cruising said:
But so what? So they never tried it.
The point was that so many people dismiss something like the BBQ Guru as non-traditional, cheating etc. Some say that anything that uses any kind of electricity is non-traditional. Gas ~ Same thing. In KCBS competitions, electricity is allowed as long as it only aiding a real fire ~ The BBQ Guru, Pellet Poopers, Rotisseries, etc. as long as the fire is a REAL wood or charcoal fire. Gas is not allowed once the actual cooking has started, only for aiding in fire starting. Is this traditional BBQ? Arguably, no.

Back to the point, most people will simply dismiss something different because it IS different, and except for 1 or 2 on this board, with time, you’ll find that most disagree just to disagree ~ Stir the Pot ~ Mess around.
BTW, my WSM was so leaky that I had to tape all of my lower vents closed in order for the Guru to properly do it’s job ~ Therefore, I always use the Guru for my cooks. I like the fact that I can dump some lit coals on top of unlit, place the meat on and close her up. DONE! I monitor my Nu-Temp receiver from time to time to see how things are. Do I know how to control my WSM without the Guru? Hell yeah! Do I need a Guru? Yeah, but that’s because of where I live. If I still lived in Orlando, I would not have one ~ Not needed there.

Now, about your 245 issue…What’s your Nu-Temp reading? Many a Guru read about 10 to 15 degrees off in the pit even after testing correctly in boiling water. The reason is not known but I have mybeliefs.

Cruising said:
My only point to the tantrum is...

This board is really amazing. Whether it's a newbie (as in dummer than
apple wood) asking for help, or getting recipes, rubs from folks,
or getting the hi & low on foiling, or charcoal vs lump etc...

You have always been awesome at showing all the different sides.

I have only seen 2 things on this board that actually made me go
"what the hek was that"...

The guru discussion was the 2nd one :razz: I don't know why
Larry would say if you are using the Guru - it's not real Q.

But he has helped me get a repeatable recipe down and has always helped.
I can use the WSM without the guru - but not as well as "with" the guru. Like foiling - it helps with consistency for me... and the Q tastes good.

Why some folks let this bother them I don't know. I used to be over
300lbs (now around 180 thanks to Atkins in 1991 - so it's stayed off since
1992)... Back then I used to say:

"I'm fat, balding, deaf (wear hearing aids), have a wife, 2 kids, a
mortgage and can be an ass.... exactly what are you going to do to me? "

Now I know! They can tell me I don't know crap about Q because I use a guru????

:tant: :tant: :tant: :tant: :tant: :rules: :rules: :rules: :badpoke: :badpoke: :badpoke: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint:

By the way - just to stay on topic, my WSM is at 250 for the 2nd batch of 3
slabs and it seems to have kicked the stuck at 210 problem.

Cruising it's been my pleasure helping you and I'll do it again in the future whether you use the Guru or not. But please someone show me where I said "if you are using a Guru, it's not real Q?" I do believe that was someone else and I'm not mentioning the name PIGS I did say however, "that I saw no purpose in using a Guru in a WSM" and that's my opinion and I'll stand by it. I also said if using a Guru, you might as well cook in an oven. Only because IMHO there is no challenge to making Q when using the Guru. I'm not trying to change the course of this thread into "to Guru or not to Guru". If you feel you need the Guru for whatever reason it may be, GREAT. And for the folks that say "the only reason the naysayers are against the Guru is because they haven't tried using one" is a crock of crap! I'm sure if I used one, my cooks would go exactly as it goes now, very uneventful! But I'd be out the $200 for the cost of the Guru. That's like putting a $10k stereo system in a 1978 Datsun B210, just doesn't make sense in my eyes.

Larry Wolfe said:
And for the folks that say "the only reason the naysayers are against the Guru is because they haven't tried using one" is a crock of crap!
If you're refering to me, that's not what I said, but that's for another forum. :)

The Joker said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":3pnz0npa] And for the folks that say "the only reason the naysayers are against the Guru is because they haven't tried using one" is a crock of crap!
If you're refering to me, that's not what I said, but that's for another forum. :)[/quote:3pnz0npa]

You didn't????? See below, my good man! I guess if someone was wearing a helmet, licking the windows on a short bus they could interpret it differently. But it looks pretty clear to me what you said/meant. Either way, I'm just funnin' ya'll. Like I said, ya'll use the Guru, I don't! I foil, some don't! :winkie:

The Joker said:
Well, that ought to get a couple of 'em goin' ! :razz: I agree with you!! I fought the battle waaaay back when the Guru 1st came out ~ Wasn't even on the market yet. A couple of people (5 or 6) got 1 to try and report. This all started over on TVWB, btw. I was the lone supporter against a MUCH larger crowd than here.

Well, that was then. I don't fight those fights any more ~ Not worth it. I did my part and I thoroughly enjoy my Guru's, as you do yours. You'll find (and probably already have) that the vast majority of the naysayers have never tried the unit out. Remindes me of "Traditional BBQ"!! :eek:

I don't know how you can say that my statement is the same as yours ~ It's not! Maybe you should remove your helmet ~ It's obviously too tight.

The Joker said:
I don't know how you can say that my statement is the same as yours ~ It's not! Maybe you should remove your helmet ~ It's obviously too tight.

Guess so, end of discussion.

Guru's SUCK! :grin: I got the chance to play with one. I didn't care for it. More trouble than there worth. I know some of you guy's use them and think there great. No question they are a diffrent way to cook. You have to learn how to use them. How about learning how to use your pit first? Then play around with big buck gadgets. I didn't care for the thing, But I only used it twice. With time and adjustments to my regular pit time I'm sure It could be handy. But why try to change something you already know how to do right in the first place. :)

See what I mean, Crusing ?? :!:

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Guru's SUCK! :grin:
If you had really used a Guru a couple of times, you would know that Guru's DON'T suck, they BLOW !!! [-X

Bob T said:
[quote="Pigs On The Wing BBQ":2twd0yzi]Guru's SUCK! :grin: I got the chance to play with one. I didn't care for it. More trouble than there worth. I know some of you guy's use them and think there great. No question they are a diffrent way to cook. You have to learn how to use them. How about learning how to use your pit first? Then play around with big buck gadgets. I didn't care for the thing, But I only used it twice. With time and adjustments to my regular pit time I'm sure It could be handy. But why try to change something you already know how to do right in the first place. :)

LOL, you guys crack me up.
Seeing as you all asked, here's my opinion lol: When I toss on a picnic or brisket, I can go away, go to work for a 12 hour shift, do whatever, and know that the temps are right were I want them. There is zero doubt in my mind that they are going to stray off more than a few degrees. Some will say they can do that without a Guru. Good for you. I didn't have much luck with overnighters when the temps were 40 during the day, and 15 at night (or lower) without adjusting the vents. I have no doubt that the Guru, no matter what the temps do, will keep her chugging away where I want it.
I foil ribs most of the time also. I inject my Picnics, I do Picnics over Boston butts, Spares over B/Backs, and pineapple juice over apple on the ribs. :grin:

:pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop:[/quote:2twd0yzi]

Do you use a pop up timer and brine??? 8-[ Just kidding!

Bob T said:
Whatever it takes Big Guy lol. I do brine the popcorn after popped with way to much butter, does that count?
Just tossed some ribs on. Mmmmm, ribsssss, Guru.
After that's done, Mmmmm, Picnic, and Guru for an overnighter for Thursday lol.

I gotta serious question. What will happen if the power goes out while cooking with the Guru? All the vents are closed and the fire will die, then what?

How often does your power go out during a cook? 1 in 100? 500? Good odds in my opinion. If you're awake or wake up during the night, you can use the other 2 lower vents to continue the cook, if they're not taped shut like mine are, or, like in Bryan's case, he uses a 12 volt rechargeable power supply like this for his cooks.

Anything else before you place your order???

The Joker said:
How often does your power go out during a cook? 1 in 100? 500? Good odds in my opinion. If you're awake or wake up during the night, you can use the other 2 lower vents to continue the cook, if they're not taped shut like mine are, or, like in Bryan's case, he uses a 12 volt rechargeable power supply like this for his cooks.

Anything else before you place your order???

LOL! Well it's an honest question regardless of the odds. As a matter of fact I've cooked alot in the middle of thunderstorms when the power is prone to going out. My point is, (I'm not bashing), without a Guru you don't have to worry about that. Bryans battery pack could malfunction as well. But I guess if you have 4 remote thermometers w/alarms in the cooker like your picture, then it will sound like a bank being robbed if the temps drop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom