Mom's Smothered Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookking

Sous Chef
Over the weekend I picked up a whole chicken with the intention of cooking it this past Monday evening. Well, last night after getting home from work later than I expected to I decided to go ahead and cook it before it went bad. I haven't made this dish in a long time and felt it was time. My mom's smothered chicken.
I started with pulling out the heavy Magnalite chicken fryer pan, put a little canola oil in it to heat up. Meanwhile I cut up the chicken and seasoned it with onion salt and black pepper. This is not a complicated dish but it is one that is delicious and something my mother made quite often when I was a kid.
I put all the chicken pieces in the fryer to brown slowly and when done removed them to deglaze the pan and brown the onions. Onions do contain enough water to deglaze but I did add a little bit of white wine to help it along. When ready I put the chicken back into the pan and added enough water to come up a little over halfway up the chicken. Put the lid on and lower the heat to simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour.(I really didn't pay attention to the time). When the meat was starting to fall apart and away from the bone it was done and ready to be served over steaming hot rice for dinner tonight. Probably with a nice cool salad or maybe I'll go and pick a couple of fresh cucumbers from the garden. Mmmmm...... I know my dad would've loved this tonight.
Browning the chicken
img_258654_0_64955786a46838dcdaae55be2d353bc5.jpg

Deglazing and browning the onions
img_258654_1_54b0c771703c06295dba19f2a7138282.jpg

Done and ready to be eaten!
Well, if it weren't so late. But it will be delicious just the same for dinner tonight.
img_258654_2_3509f81ed8f8304999f533ebe067df84.jpg

Looks mighty yummy. Thanks for sharing. My grandma specialized in smothered steak which was very good..but involved flour and was cooked in the oven. It was more like steak and brown gravy. This looks like a great strategy for the chicken.

The northerners must have a different version of smothered chicken. When i make it, I pan fry it, in another skillet I saute some sweet onions and green peppers until they are al dente'. As the chicken is almost cooked through, place the chicken on the plate, place the onions, mushrooms, and green peppers over the chicken, cover all with a few pieces of provolone cheese and place under the broiler until the cheese is golden brown. Sorta like this picture but my cheese would be done better.

Picture is not mine.
155650.jpg

Double ditto all those sentiments. I could prob knock a hole in either/or. I am apparently being forced to eat some senora made Enchladas for Father's Day special supper. Rice and beans on the side of course. I get treated way too good huh? Happy Father's Day to all the Fathers out there and Up There.

I was thinking of making this for dinner tonight, but I don't have any chicken. Oh well looks like I have to go shopping.

Now FDR or some other equally famous deceased politician promised a chicken in every pot. He musta forgot about Kansas..lol. Did yall get the mule and forty acres instead?

Back
Top Bottom