? About pellets...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevTN

Assistant Cook
I have never used pellets but can they be used in place of charcoal? More curious than anything..

No, they will fall through the grate, lol!!! Why would you want to use pellets, I would think it would be a lot more expensive using pellets rather than charcoal and my guess is that your grill wouldn't get hot enough using pellets.

Dang thought V was going to launch into re fried bean deal there for a minute. Pellets is pellets..how long will a gun shoot? How long is a rope? Dont make come up or down there. Thanks. I also dont move over East to West. The Wardens driving skeers the sheet right of normal folks and she nag constantly when I drive. There is no way to win,

No, they will fall through the grate, lol!!! Why would you want to use pellets, I would think it would be a lot more expensive using pellets rather than charcoal and my guess is that your grill wouldn't get hot enough using pellets.

"No, they will fall through the grate"

Like when I tried to grill beans, Was that where bigwheel was talken?
I've seen people use pellets added throughout the coal for wood smoke. We thought about it. but moved to chips sprinkled througout the caol instead of chunks. We get more consistant smoke flavor from cook to cook.

Last edited:
KevTN, pellets are used primarily as fuel for grills and smokers made for them to be used as fuel. There are some things made to produce smoke at a lower temperature for things like smoking cheese or seafood or just to add extra smoke to the food while cooking over charcoal and gas.

I have a Traeger pellet fueled grill that makes some fantastic grilled, baked, smoked and bbq that I love. They are just a different type of grill with a different type of fuel yet still produces good/great results. Now I wouldn't get the same results putting pellets in my Primo or Bubba Keg either.

Thx Treagernator...I had just seen some down at a sporting good store and wasn't sure about it...

Back
Top Bottom