Lang cooker with basket/minion method?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cromag

Assistant Cook
I've used a cheap offsets and UDS for a couple years and I'm wanting to get a better smoker. I only used charcoal in baskets using the minion method so will the Lang 36 patio with it's reverse flow design work when using the minion method? The video on the Lang site says you need to leave the door open for a bit during the heat up process to get a good draft but that's with a whole fire box of burning embers. Just wondering if anyone has used the method on a Lang

I dont think it will, you need to maintain a small hot fire, why not just burn wood? It is a lot cheaper than charcoal and a Lang is a stick burner. It takes me about an hour with a wood fire to get mine warm enough to hold temps.

1) When you get temp up past your cooking temp do you add your meat then slowly close the air intake and drop into your cooking temp?

Ben Lang on his video kept saying to drop it down into your temp.

2) When you start cooking do you close both lid latches?

I build a hot fire, get it to around 300 or so and spray down with water to steam clean. Let get back to 300 or so and then close the pinwheel on one side completely and the other 3/4 and it holds temp really good at around 225. Make sure the grill is level. When I add another stick of wood I leave the firebox door open for a minute or two to let it catch and then close the door. I find if I dont preheat higher and come down I spend more time playing with the vents to chase the temperature at first.

The biggest issue I have bumped into with log burners is getting enough air to the fire to keep it from going into a smolder and starting creosote production. I usually cook with the firebox door standing open a bit when in that mode. Not sure the one you got might like that by any means. Just some food for thought.

The biggest issue I have bumped into with log burners is getting enough air to the fire to keep it from going into a smolder and starting creosote production. I usually cook with the firebox door standing open a bit when in that mode. Not sure the one you got might like that by any means. Just some food for thought.

x 2 ;)

I bet the best way is to follow what the builder says. Try it out, see how it goes, remember every smoker, despite build methods are different. If it were me, I would do a couple of burn in runs to figure your new setup out, that would be the best way. Nothing like cooking on a smoker that you have no idea how to keep its temperature. Take the time to figure it out, slow down some, you still have your other smokers right. Cook in one, and just start a fire in your new one at the same time.

Thats right. Person can snag some general guidelines but the real learning comes in by trial and error. Coming up with somethng inedible is about the same odds as somebody who claim to know how to do it right..have accidents too much devils jurine..and other unforseen circumstances etc. It will all be good and if not the neighbors will prob think its ok..then the dawgs and coons bound to like it. Keeps us posted.

Thats right. Person can snag some general guidelines but the real learning comes in by trial and error. Coming up with somethng inedible is about the same odds as somebody who claim to know how to do it right..have accidents too much devils jurine..and other unforseen circumstances etc. It will all be good and if not the neighbors will prob think its ok..then the dawgs and coons bound to like it. Keeps us posted.

Yup, it took me most of a summer to learn mine

Logs will work but at some time during the cook you'll run out of embers and have to add some charcoal to the mix.

My Lang has never had charcoal in it for fuel, I buy oak and cherry by the cord
img_255887_0_e9fd673f26dfa584a9fa34a86f9a1ace.jpg

charcoal basket

i use a LANG 60 the minon meathod will work in a LANG put your charcoal in the basket lite the chimeny when ready pour them in clouse the fire box door let smoker come to temp close pinwheel on one side leave other side open use dampener on stack to control temps it is best to elevate end oposite fire box slitely remember heat rises:partyman:

Back
Top Bottom