Time for a new grill.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nova

Assistant Cook
Returned my 2007 Perfect Flamme to Lowes on a recall. Burners and burner support components would deteriorate and cause a dangerous lack of control on the gas. Lowes gave me 214 bucks back (store credit, but I can "expense" 214 bucks to the company for the store credit and have that cash for elsewhere).. on a grill that was 499 that I paid 275 for... So not to terrible lifespan per dollar, but I'd rather avoid Chinese crap grills this go round. I know that tends to entail a higher cost. The more I read and see.. the Chinese sourced grills have gone downhill even from the Perfect Flamme I had. I replaced all 5 burners twice under warranty. I didn't even know about the recall until last friday.. which was issued in 2009... thanks a lot Lowes! People "Claim" to have had these grills burn ignite metal components within the grill. I suspect more these were grease fires brought on by poor maintenance and shitty burners.

Requirements :

Natural Gas fuel source( I have a Maxitrol Plug1 connection for hookup, quick connect system).
4+ Burners
Not a cheap Chinese built crapgrill, prefer US/Canada made.
Budget.. up to $1000.
Freestanding Grill.

Currently looking at BroilKing Soverign XLS 90.

I considered a CharBroil TruInfrared unit but at $500 for a crap grill that will self destruct in a year or two. why not double the expenditure and get around a decade of life?

Phoenix's will run on natural gas..or at least some of them the one my pal owns does. But some of the models dont. Not sure I trust the quick disconnect stuff much. Is that originally made for high pressure air hoses? If so it aint safe. If not never mind.

Phoenix's will run on natural gas..or at least some of them the one my pal owns does. But some of the models dont. Not sure I trust the quick disconnect stuff much. Is that originally made for high pressure air hoses? If so it aint safe. If not never mind.

It is built and intended for Natural Gas usage.

PLUG1 - Maxitrol Company

I am a Residential building contractor, until I ran across this device my HVAC/Gas subcontractor hadn't seen a quick disconnect system they liked.

has a switch that locks the connector inplace when in the On position, has a flow cutoff if you have a hose break/etc.

Webers are out due to cost to get to 4 burners. I'll look into Phoenix grills.

Thanks for the quick connect hose info. I had a flame thrower one time which had that feature for Propane but it was made for air hoses. The joint got cold and I hear one story where a similar setup had broke loose and started around dancing in air like a cobra in the basket while spitting fire. Finally some drunk caught it behind the head and managed to pin it to the ground. I have been a little gun shy since hearing that story. Glad they have got the bugs worked out.

Just a quick question, why are 4 burners needed. Can you get away with using 3?

General size need. Coming down from a larger 5 burner which at times i've come close to using all cooking space, also for slow cooking roasts on the grill. Need enough clearance from burners. The 5 burner let me turn on the outer burners and put the roast on the rotis in the center.

Back
Top Bottom