mantaining the fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pete1

Assistant Cook
Any time I start something new I do a lot of research. I like to take advantage of all the knowledge out there although sometimes I get confused with all the different information.

I was reading some place that one way to keep the temp up for a long smoke is to to put some unlit charcoal under the charcoal that is ready for cooking. Has anyone tried this? It seems to me that when the unlit charcoal start that it would flame up and make the temp unstable.

Thanks

Any time I start something new I do a lot of research. I like to take advantage of all the knowledge out there although sometimes I get confused with all the different information.

I was reading some place that one way to keep the temp up for a long smoke is to to put some unlit charcoal under the charcoal that is ready for cooking. Has anyone tried this? It seems to me that when the unlit charcoal start that it would flame up and make the temp unstable.

Thanks

The unlit coals should not flame up if you have your vents set right. They can only flame up if enough oxygen is getting to them. With the right amount of oxygen going in they should simply smoulder for hours which is what you want.

Take care,

Paul

What all of 'em said.
I fill my charcoal bin completely with charcoal, and it only burns as needed, depending on the amount of oxygen that enters the fire chamber. Works very well and no flaming.

BOB

I was reading some place that one way to keep the temp up for a long smoke is to to put some unlit charcoal under the charcoal that is ready for cooking.

Thanks

This is as good an illustration of the minion method as you will see(for the WSM , anyway)
This works excellently .

Minion Method - YouTube

It's not really necessary to use the No. 10 can. I just dump the lit coals on top of the ring full of unlit charcoal.

One of these days I'm going to have to get a weed burner. It looks like it saves a heap of time.
For me, a weed burner lights too much charcoal. I do always use a propane torch with a smaller flame. It might take a little longer, but I can light individual pieces of charcoal if I want to.

BOB
but it's still hard to beat a chimney filled with just the amount of charcoal that you want

I only have one weed burner and I leave it in Michigan, but it is defiantly the way to start the fire and it is soooo impressive when you fire that thing up. And it works well actually burning weeds in the drive ;)

Back
Top Bottom