keeping of the BBQ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

olflathead

Assistant Cook
Smoking and selling butts on the 22nd for Christmas. Need some advise to give the buyer on the best way to keep fresh until they use on the 24th or 25th. Don't think freezing and thawing is the answer. Thinking more on the lines of wrapping tight and refrigerating till then. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Vacuum seal. Reheat in simmering water.

I put 60 lbs or so on ice every year. I pack 2lbs per bag. It wont freeze but is plenty cold to keep for a few days.

I vote for wrapping and sticking in the icebox till show time. Should be just fine if used within a week or so. Would try to lower the temps fairly quickly which could involve the use of ice. Quicker it can be removed from the danger zone 40-140 f. the better..or so they say. A typical ice box loaded up with a bunch of hot butts could take a long time to move out of the zone. Now Cliff's freezing plan is also a great one. In fact one of my old comp/vending chums refused to serve a brisket or butt which had not been frozen and thawed. He would freeze it if only a couple of days off from the blessed event. He believed it improved the quality of the finished product and I cant argue with him too much. Lets us know which you go. Thanks.

thanks for all the feedback.I'll let u know what I go with. Better yet i'll just tell'em ALL THE ABOVE. Takes me off the hook. lol

Back
Top Bottom