OK, So I Tried Meat Down on Some Ribs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DJ

Sous Chef
So I had 21 racks to do for a Saturday gig and opted to do three "Meat Side Down" as was sugested in a previous thread...Here's the deal, not sure of any advantages as I prefer the color of my "Meat Up" ribs....taste was probably about the same though they seemed a bit "spongier/soft"....What should I have been looking for? What is the advantage? How do you do 'em??
dj

What are you cooking on Sir? Maybe you are conserving so much moisture it dont really matter. I have a chum with a big Southern Pride that ribs up or down would not figger into the equation at all I dont think. He cooks everything at 195 for 24 hrs or so. You can eat his brisket with a plastic spoon. Oylers know that trick too. Now I know it dont matter on the SP cuz the guest workers who load it do not care if they are up or down..lol. He sells tons of the stuff.

What are you cooking on Sir? Maybe you are conserving so much moisture it dont really matter. I have a chum with a big Southern Pride that ribs up or down would not figger into the equation at all I dont think. He cooks everything at 195 for 24 hrs or so. You can eat his brisket with a plastic spoon. Oylers know that trick too. Now I know it dont matter on the SP cuz the guest workers who load it do not care if they are up or down..lol. He sells tons of the stuff.

Cooking three lb IBP loin backs and they stay super moist (235* to 250*)...catered yesterday, clean-up today, 24 racks tomorrow for email customers...Pic is Me and "The Pit"...Texas Built.
DJ & Pit.jpg

Looks highly kewlish Sir. Can see where the large amounts in question could produce enough moisture to make it cook as intended. Now what happens when it gets fired up for smaller amounts of meat..as in a cookoff or similar? How would that puppy do on two select briskets for example? Would a person need the Noo Yawk Crutch..aka Mr. Reynolds Wrap? Thanks.

Looks highly kewlish Sir. Can see where the large amounts in question could produce enough moisture to make it cook as intended. Now what happens when it gets fired up for smaller amounts of meat..as in a cookoff or similar? How would that puppy do on two select briskets for example? Would a person need the Noo Yawk Crutch..aka Mr. Reynolds Wrap? Thanks.

Thanks....No time for cookoffs, but Briskets cook pretty all right in the major scheme of things..Pretty much always wrap both Butts and Briskets last couple hours but learned that back home in Caldwell, uhhhherrrr, not Noo Yawk......back to wrapping butts, I hate apple products to "moisten" the pork as I think natural drippings are MUCH better (yup, they be in the foil)! My only problem area is with large amounts of YardBird, but use the Pig cooker for that ...
dj

Ok sounds good. You ever see our old cooking chum named the Puzzled Possum up there in ME? Sorta lost track of that young man over the years.

See him every once in a while tho pretty much out of the Q game and trying to sell his rig....Really good guy and has definitly helped me improve my burns. Once in a while, yur handle comes up in our conversations.....all good ya know!

Ok sounds good. You ever see our old cooking chum named the Puzzled Possum up there in ME? Sorta lost track of that young man over the years.

Oh no...knew my ears burned occasionally for unknown reasons. lol. Tell him we'uns said hi if you get a chance.

I am interested in this thread... I think I am, anyway...but everytime I start to read, I see the picture of Nick's blond running out of the corner of my eye, and I seem to get all confused, and break out in a cold sweat, and forget what I'm doing here..
You'd think, that after hanging around this site after all these years, I would get used to that, but...

I am interested in this thread... I think I am, anyway...but everytime I start to read, I see the picture of Nick's blond running out of the corner of my eye, and I seem to get all confused, and break out in a cold sweat, and forget what I'm doing here..
You'd think, that after hanging around this site after all these years, I would get used to that, but...

She is mesmerizing :rolleyes:

Hmm..I always thought that was Nick. Rumor was he got ahold of some estrogen capsules at some point. Sounded logical. I know that stuff can make manly males grow breastes..course then along came Auntie Silicon. Its just hard to tell sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom