New member needs quick help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duckvett

Assistant Cook
I will formally introduce myself at a later date, but I am somewhat a "smoking noob" and I need some quick advise. I have a Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5" that I have been using for about 6 months. I understand some of the basics, but am in no way an expert. I have been asked to provide pulled pork for a football tailgater this coming Saturday (two day from now). I bought a huge pork shoulder blade roast - 16.7 lbs. Should I cook this whole ( 1-1/2 hrs. per pound = 25 hours ) or would it be better to cut in half and cook both on the upper grate for a shorter time ( 12 hours )? :rolleyes:

Thank you for your help, oh wise ones.

I will formally introduce myself at a later date, but I am somewhat a "smoking noob" and I need some quick advise. I have a Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5" that I have been using for about 6 months. I understand some of the basics, but am in no way an expert. I have been asked to provide pulled pork for a football tailgater this coming Saturday (two day from now). I bought a huge pork shoulder blade roast - 16.7 lbs. Should I cook this whole ( 1-1/2 hrs. per pound = 25 hours ) or would it be better to cut in half and cook both on the upper grate for a shorter time ( 12 hours )? :rolleyes:

Thank you for your help, oh wise ones.
Chop it in half and save some fuel. Plus u will get more bark.
275 deg for about 10 hrs should do it. ;)

I would bet that it is already 2 pieces. Mostly that is the way these larger packages are, unless you bought it from a real butcher, and you actually got the whole shoulder, consisting of a pork butt, with part of the shoulder blade, and the picnic, which looks almost like a ham.

If you did in fact get a whole shoulder, do as was suggested, and separate it at the joint between the picnic and the butt.

Also, I don't believe that a 16 pound shoulder will fit on one rack of a WSM 18.5.

Good luck with it, whichever way it turns out. If you have any more problems or questions, don't forget to ask.

BOB

Well I stumbled over a picnic that come in at 15 lbs at Albertsons one time so guess there is a few big critters out there but not many. Always wished I could have found the butt on that puppy. Figgered it have to go at least into the twenties. Will vote with them who favor cutting it into two chunks for the reasons previously articulated. If it do happen to be a full shoulder I would put the picnic segment on top since it has more fat than the butt.

Here is the monster. I can see the division on the fat side, but the meat side looks like one piece.

Attachments

• DSCN0773.jpg
    DSCN0773.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 234
  • DSCN0774.jpg
    DSCN0774.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 233
Well I stumbled over a picnic that come in at 15 lbs at Albertsons one time so guess there is a few big critters out there but not many. Always wished I could have found the butt on that puppy. Figgered it have to go at least into the twenties. Will vote with them who favor cutting it into two chunks for the reasons previously articulated. If it do happen to be a full shoulder I would put the picnic segment on top since it has more fat than the butt.
LOL I heard everythings bigger in Texas, but never saw proof.;) Butt, yeah on the pick-A-nick on the top rack.

BOB

That young got him a double butt pack..so whoever said they was two gets a ceegar..lol. Person could still cut them in two to increase Mr. Brown.

Thanks for the help guys, I think I will split it and smoke for 12 hours in the WSM then check internal temp.

Thanks for the help guys, I think I will split it and smoke for 12 hours in the WSM then check internal temp.
U didn't say what temp you are cookin at, but I might start checkin a couple hrs sooner than 12.
You might want to invest in temp prob ;)

Is that really one piece?? With pork butt, I would go ahead and raise your cook temp about 25-50 degrees. You have a lot of fat in that meat so you will not dry out!

Is that really one piece?? With pork butt, I would go ahead and raise your cook temp about 25-50 degrees. You have a lot of fat in that meat so you will not dry out!
No. Everyone here was correct, it is two pieces. The way it was packaged and labeled I thought it was one piece. I usually do 4-5 lb shoulders, so finding one this large was a new experience for me. Started them this morning at 7 am, temp holding at 220. I just learned that we are now up to 20 people at the tailgater - hope I have enough pork!!
:prayer:

Might be enough if you get some miserly portion control on the first pass. Overwise the early arrivals in line will eat it all up from them lagging behind at the rear.

One thing I would do is wrap
It after 5 hours or so. If your not worried about color wrap it until it gets to your finish temp then unwrap to "firm"
Up the bark. I would bet try are split looks like the last butts ingot at Sams

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom