Gator Pad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
Well I spent all weekend making a spot for my Party Gator that will be delivered the first week in Sept. I can't wait! Well, I'm no mason but I decided to build this spot for my new arrival! It's not perfect, but I'm happy.

Jersey BBQ said:
Larry that looks AWESOME.. Great job.. =D> =D>

Thanks Jeff! If it wasn't 98* both days I worked on it, it wouldn't have been that bad! I bet I lost 20lbs doing that damn thing! Oh well, it's done and I'm happy!

Nick Prochilo said:
Looks great Larry! You can come get a job with me any time you like!

Thanks Nick, but that's a little too much like work!! Can I just work in the Fall months?

Hey Larry, that looks great. I'm starting my Gator Pad this week. My pit is due the very end of August. Any tips you can give me on laying those pavers? I'm gunna try to lay a 10x12 pad with a simple metal roof. Probably take me a solid week with the rock that lives under our generous 3" of topsoil. Post some pics when the Party Gator is home.

Zilla

Pics all look great Larry...'Cept for that 2nd one.. :ack:

:!: :!: :!:

Man I don't know how Larry can stand it...a few weeks from getting his Gator, and a few weeks from co-captaining the BBQ4U team at Smoke on the Beach....it'd be enough to cause me to drink!

Bryan S said:
Finney said:
Damn brother...
I thought you were going to do that next weekend. #-o
I was going to come help you. 8-[
That's what i thought too. Man now i feel bad. Anyway it looks really nice Larry. =D>
Larry, I guess this means that this didn't happen today did it? http://www.myfreebulletinboard.com/f2/bbq4u-post-30664.html#30664

No Bryan, I didn't get to it. I'm sorry to all who I promised it would be in the mail today. I will get it made and out to ya'll as quickly as possible!

zilla said:
Hey Larry, that looks great. I'm starting my Gator Pad this week. My pit is due the very end of August. Any tips you can give me on laying those pavers? I'm gunna try to lay a 10x12 pad with a simple metal roof. Probably take me a solid week with the rock that lives under our generous 3" of topsoil. Post some pics when the Party Gator is home.

Zilla

Lay a 4" base of crushed aggregate and compact. I didn't have one of the gas compactors, so I used an 8x8 tamp, which seemed to work fine. Then lay 3/4" PVC piping across the pad and pour leveling sand over it. Then screed with a 2x4, this will give you a 1" sand base. Fill the void from the piping with more sand and smooth out. Then place the brick in with a wiggle then pound with a rubber mallet to set them. Place the edging around the pad, then sweep quickcrete play sand over the top to fill the cracks and lock the bricks in place. The hardest part that I had was removing the dirt and the heat. Laying the base and the bricks was the easy part.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Look's great Larry, Do you, Or are you going to put any kind of sealer on the brick?

Shoot, I didn't even think about that or know I needed to. But it makes sense, especially if I'm gonna be cooking on it! Thanks!

Captain Morgan said:
yeah, the sealer should help in cleaning up grease spills too. helps keep the ants away.

Well that's definitely a good thing then! We are being invaded by those tiny little black ants right now. Guess they're thirsty too!

Susan Z said:
Larry, I can't believe you were working in this ungodly HEAT and HUMIDITY! Heat index was 102 yesterday.

Nice, job, tho! Glad you lived to show us the pics.

=D>

No kidding Susan I am a glutton for punishment! I'm having a party next weekend and wanted to get it done before then. Cause the Gator will be here very soon and I need to make a comfy spot for it! I can't tell you how many 1litre bottles of water I went through. I would sweat it out as fast as I drank it!

Susan Z said:
This is the kind of heat where you can even drink lots of beer and yet never have to use the bathroom.... Wild, baby, wild.

Susan both days I never cracked the first beer until after 5 and I was still just miserable and didn't feel like drinking. That was a true first!

Larry Wolfe said:
No kidding Susan I am a glutton for punishment! I'm having a party next weekend and wanted to get it done before then. Cause the Gator will be here very soon and I need to make a comfy spot for it! I can't tell you how many 1litre bottles of water I went through. I would sweat it out as fast as I drank it!

Chris quickly rifles through his incoming mail box. 8-[

:-( :badgrin: :-(

Finney said:
Larry Wolfe said:

Chris quickly rifles through his incoming mail box. 8-[

:-( :badgrin: :-(

Do you even need to be invited??? I told you and Bryan as well as several other people you had an open invite!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom