Bacon & Salmon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TimBear

Sous Chef
So last weekend I can home and said to myself, I want to make some home-made/cured bacon; I picked up a couple of fresh pork bellies and a got them going with a dry rub of salt, sugar and celery juice. I let that cure for 7 days. I rinsed it for about 45-50 minutes (could have gone for another 15-20 minutes, but it was ok), let it dry. While it was drying I took a couple of fillets of some Fresh California King Salmon (Skin-on/pin bone out) and rubbed it with some brown sugar, kosher salt, cayenne, maple syrup (real 100%), coarse ground black pepper and a hint of granulated garlic.

I got the weber fired up with Kingsford original, and got it stabilized at 210* and put the pork bellies on and hit it with chunks of Hickory. I let them smoke at that temp for about 3 hours (while we were at my sons baseball game). When the bacon came off, I put the salmon on for about an hour with some Jack Daniels oak chips.

That night we had Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato and Avocado sandwiches on croissants and/or Fresh baked Italian Focaccia rolls (cheese topped). My middle son (Hayden) had a few friends over; they had two sandwiches each (almost 2 lbs of bacon for 3 boys/men; they are all about 6'3' to 6'4 and about 275 lbs). I had one and was completely full and satisfied.

I don't know why the pics are yellow, but you'll get the idea.

Nick Prochilo said:
Tim, you have to let us know a little sooner. I could have been there in 6 hours or so!
You let me know when you're at the airport heading this way and I'll through some stuff in the pit, on the Q's, and Toby will bring the beers and Tequila. It will be ready when you land at LAX.
:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom