Burnt Ends?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes think I can help you out here. Next time you cook a packer or trimmed brisket split it between the point and flat. Put the flat on the lower rack and put the point over the top with an upside down Sams aluminum pan over the top. Makes the best burnt ends you ever tasted on the top part..and keeps the flat moistened up a bit from all the fat dribbling down on top. Try that and kindly reopoat back. Thanks.

Woops just dawned on me the young man was looking for sauce. I like Texas Rib Rangers Spicy.

Well the pan sounds like a good idea fro trapping smoke, only one problem. My smoker only has one level of grates, and is an offset. I have never done burnt ends before and am looking for a way to stretch the meat for my cousin graduation. Kinda figured this would be a nice way to do it.

Max, that won't really "stretch the meat", just give you a different cooked taste. I normally don't focus on the burnt ends, cook the entire brisket together. But I am going to try BW's suggestion! if you need to stretch the meat, your going to need to cook more. Precooking is the key my friend!

I found that by Trimming most of the fat from in between point and flat, then trimming bottom of point too, they get done at the same time. Plus you can get more seasoning on the point. When flat and point get done, I wrap flat and let rest. Then I cube point, reseason some, and put in a pan with foil on top, put nack on pit and let render out a little more, bout 30 minutes. Then take out pit, pour any grease out that has rendered, and sauce. I like a non sweet sauce. I return to pit, uncovered to set sauce, about 30 minutes. When sauce is set, I slice flat and enjoy some really food eats.

wittdog said:
I'd eat the burnt ends and toss the brisket out.
Just in case you didn't know it, the flat makes pretty good burnt ends, too. Just save a little of the fat and add it back in if needed when you sauce, re-season and cube the point. 8)
I thought I was the only one who liked burnt ends better than brisket...kinda like the beefy version of pig candy. ;)

BOB

Cook it together then seperate, cube, reseason and add some Dr. Pepper and then let it all get happy inside a covered foil pan for a few more hours on the pit. Larry Wolfe approved this message.

Back
Top Bottom