Chuck Roast first timer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john pen

Master Chef
Well, I think Im gonna try a chuck roast this friday. From what I find here, I assume Im gonna treat it the same as cooking a brisket ? I'm not going to foil till resting time, so when should I pull it out (what temp?)

As far as a rub goes, I was thinking just s/p and garlic. Any other suggestions to add. Im going to use the meat for fijitas I think. Also can I slice it like a brisket or should I plan on shreading ?

I would try to get it to at least 200º internal before removing and I'd shred it. If you want to slice it, I guess somewhere around 170ºF but I wouldn't do that with chuck myself, too much fat.

You might wish to foil it at some point after 160ºF but personally I don't care for it, I find the meat just too greasy/fatty that way.

John,
Don't wait until resting to foil. The few I've done have been foiled around 165 with good results. I've seen a few folks not foil until the meat hit close to 200* and they said they were a bit dry. Keep in mind that the chuck is a fatty/greasy cut of meat, which is very flavorful but a little on the greasy side. The next CR I do I will foil closer to 180, to see if it cuts down on the greasiness without drying out too much. The ones I have done were good, but I think they could have been a little better. Plan on shredded vs. slicing. If you are looking for sliced beef, go with a bottom round roast vs. chuck roast.

I have a couple suggestions for seasoning for you. I have been using two parts montreal steak seasoning to one part turbinado sugar for CR's and have bee very happy with the flavor. There are several guys that I have seen use taco seasoning for their CR's for mexican dishes. I haven't tried that so I can't vouch for it, but it sounds good to me! Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

thanks guys...sounds like the general idea is to foil, so I wont fix what isn't broke.

Anyone ever use Dr. Pepper in any of their cooks ? I thought about it when i read that Jeff said he adds beef broth when he foils. I cooked a prime rib in the oven for hunting camp a few years back (see disclaimer below) and the butcher suggested a blend of Dr. Pepper and beef broth in the bottom. It was excellent. Didn't taste the DP at all, but had great flavor. Thought maby of adding that to beef broth when i foil...

Disclaimer - the oven was used prior to my smoking habit (or addiction if you ask my wife) and I had no knowledge of the benifits of smoked animal flesh.

The next CR I do I will foil closer to 180
that sounds like a good idea Larry, I might give that a go too.

My last CR was over 20 lbs then split in three, unfoiled on for 25.5 hours if I recall right (it was doucmented on this forum but SOMEBODY deleted the thread I think ;)) and the end result was good but dry. It was cold out and I had some internal temp setbacks. I think it was dry because it was on too long, not for lack of foil. But I will have to do another one unfoiled to be sure.

That gave me the idea to reduce my target temp by the number of degrees lost (to some as yet undetermined maximum). My reasoning is that one has not lost the EFFECTS of the cooking to that point.

I hate opening my WSM to manually check especially when it is cold out so adjusting target temps might be a good way to use the remote therms. I've used the trick twice now and it has worked well.

I haven't been all that impressed with the Chuck Roast...not so tasty and a lot of fat! Would rather do a brisket or a chuck roll instead!

I never have cooked one either, but it brings a tear to my eye to see you guys all acting mature and workin together! :smt022

Greg Rempe said:
I haven't been all that impressed with the Chuck Roast...not so tasty and a lot of fat! Would rather do a brisket or a chuck roll instead!

Greg,
The Chuck Roast is a smaller piece cut off of the Chuck Roll. So if you don't care for the Roast you're prolly not gonna care for the Roll! :-D

Yeah, I've never done an actual Chuck Roll, but the Roasts I've done have been pretty fatty and is much smaller than the Roll. So I could imagine the roll would be quite fatty. IMHO, the only advantage to doing the Chuck Roll vs. Chuck Roast is the Roll is much cheaper.

I've only done 1 of each. The roll was much fattier. They were both good eats. The roll was also a shit load of food, started at 18.75 lbs. The roasts were 7.75 lbs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom