Wsm lid issue...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Rempe

Web Celeb
Moderator Emeritus
I noticed that during my rib cook this past weekend that when I took the lid of my cooker there was an inordinate amount of steam that was collecting and not exhausting when it was removed... It really made the ribs not good. Have any of you guys experienced this collection of steam? If so, how do I fix it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk

That has never happened before and I have used water for a long time now... Seems odd to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk

I use water only and have never had that issue. Was it really cold out ? Hot / cold = condensation maybe ???

I would say it was weather related. That or the fact you never cook. I don't think I have ever seen steam collect on the inside of lid. But I cook with a dry pan also. Maybe it wa the sauce that made them bad?

I use water in the pan all the time. Never had a problem similar to what you explained. However, I'm in Souther California and we never have to deal with temps much below 50 when cooking.

I'm no expert by any means, but I would think water/condensation would evaporate at temps above 212. For whatever reason, I would have to guess that your dome temp wasn't high enough to keep the air sufficiently warm before going out the top vent. Maybe your wood was too wet/green, or your lid therm. is shot? I say let er' rip again and see what happens. I thought steamed ribs were suppposed to be good right? Side note: I Googled Water Vapor/Condensation for the vast majority of the scientific information in this post.

Hi Greg. That would happen to me about 20% of the time. I noticed it most when the rim that the lid sits on was nice and greasy. My guess was it was more air tight letting out less moisture but that's just a guess. It could be a coincidence that your ribs also came out not so good. Our UDS's are full of water and the lid drips like opening a steam pot when we remove it. There is usually about a half inch of water in the bottom too. As you know you done use water in a uds. We have no issues with the moisture affecting the food.

Tri-Tip, unlike Tim and nick, you seem to make the most sense...I haven't ever cleaned the rim of the lid as I thought that was a bad idea and affected the cooking seal...guess I will go ahead and give it a quick clean! Thanks for the input!!

Well Mr. Rempe, I still think it was weather related. I have never cleaned my lid, seal and whatever else and never have I had a steam issue. And I'm sure I use mine a lot more than you. Now the other parts were just pot shots taken because you lobbed a hanging curve ball chest high.

Well I would feel better if we do like the man say and check with Gary Wivoitt on this one. He is an exspurt ya know?

My rim (on the wsm that is) would get so gummed up with greese it once glued the lid to the rim and when I tried to pull it off lifted the middle section from the bottom. This was in the midst of a cook too.

Crabnbass said:
I'm no expert by any means, but I would think water/condensation would evaporate at temps above 212. For whatever reason, I would have to guess that your dome temp wasn't high enough to keep the air sufficiently warm before going out the top vent. Maybe your wood was too wet/green, or your lid therm. is shot? I say let er' rip again and see what happens. I thought steamed ribs were suppposed to be good right? Side note: I Googled Water Vapor/Condensation for the vast majority of the scientific information in this post.

Totally agree. Too much moisture and not enought heat.

On a side note, I can't believe you monkeys who still use water??? With that said, I would love to hear 'why' water over sand or bricks? No offense, but I cannot think of one logical reason of fooling with a sloppy pot of water once the cook is over, when the water practically does nothng......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom