Just bought gas grill and inherited a smoker.......just read

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markherm13

Assistant Cook
I inherited my father's Brinkman Vertical smoker (from about 1978) b/c he purchased a big green egg. As you can imagine it is not in immaculate condition, some rust on the barrel itself and the bottom needs to be replaced, which has already been done. I found a deal on ebay for about 5 bucks. Ironically the rust that needs to be cut out in the barrel is in an ideal place to add a small door to get to the coals and meat. Yes it sounds like it might be better off if i just chunk it and get a new one but it was my Dad's when he was my age (27) so i feel i should at least try to restore it. I want to add some other things to it and i will get into detail w/ that later on.

Last weekend at the flea market I bought a charmglow stainless steel gas grill and side burner for $15. The only thing i need is the knobs and it only has three wheels.

I am a Charcoal grill advocate and have never used a gas grill simply based off principal.
So i am thinking of converting it to a charcoal grill but leaving the sideburner functional running off gas, refurbishing the the smoker and building a custom grill cart to house both of them with large wheels, like lawnmower wheel size.
Its a lofty idea, but if i can see it, i can build it.
I will put pictures up so you guys can see what i am working with and have "before and after pictures" so i can brag to my buddies. haha

My name is Mark and here I am......

Well sounds like a great set of project to keep a person out of the pool halls titty bars etc. Best of fortunes on it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom