I need to buy a new grill.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tcbzzz

Assistant Cook
I need to buy a new grill, prefer one that would be good for ribs, any suggestions ? Maybe a Green Egg ?

tcbzzz said:
I need to buy a new grill, prefer one that would be good for ribs, any suggestions ? Maybe a Green Egg ?

Hmmm......I would recommend a Weber Performer or 22.5" or 26.5" Weber One Touch Gold. You can grill, bake and BBQ on any of these with the only limitation being the amount of food you're cooking. BGE's are a great product, but don't cook any better than a Weber. You get more bang for your buck with a Weber, BGE's are heavy to move and can break. You can't break a Weber, bend maybe, break NO.

If you're planning on BBQ'ing more than Grilling, then I would suggest a Weber Smokey Mountain, 18.5" will cook A LOT of food. If you need more room, go for the 22.5" WSM.

The problem is the word "grill." A lot of barbecue terms can be very regional, and "grill" is one of them. In most of the country, a grill is an open grate directly over a heat source and is primarily used for direct, high-heat cooking. When we talk about grilling, we tend to mean food cooked that way.

Some people use that sort of grill for medium or low heat indirect by pushing the fire to one side, and putting the food on the other.

But in other parts of the country, a grill can refer to a dedicated, indirect, low and slow pit.

Do you want to do high-heat direct? Low heat indirect? Both? If both, which will you do more? Which are you willing to spend more on?

Some pits, like the better ceramics, can do an excellent job at both; but by and large pits which do both do one a lot better than the other. With respect, both BGEs and Primos are better grills than WSMs, and better smokers than a Kettle -- at least in my opinion. On the other hand, you can buy one of Weber's top kettles plus a WSM for less than the cost of a BGE.

How many people do you usually cook for? Do you frequently entertain large groups? How much capacity do you really want? How much do you really need?

Sometimes a bigger cooker can use different kinds of fuel than smaller ones. Do you care? Do you have fuel preferences?

What's your price range?

BDL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom