How to know the temp when roasting on a spit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plabat

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I plan to bbq a 70lbs pig on a spit (that turns).
I'll place the charcoal on both sides of the pig (at a distance, not directly underneath).
This is a first time.
I plan to cook it very slow at a rate of 1H10mn per 10lbs.
I read that for slow cooking, it needs to be grilled at about 225F

My question is how do I know if the temperature is right in the first hours of roasting?
I need 225F at the surface of the pig but how can I measure it? How can I know if the pig is receiving 225F?
If I use a temperature gun and aim at the pig, I guess I'll get a get a reading well below 225F because the pig is cold.
If I aim at the charcoal I'll get the charcoal temp that will be well over 225F.

Regards,

Pierre

Maverick has an ET-75 Rotisserie Remote Thermometer. IMO, I wouldn't much worry about cooking temps on the spit, keep an eye on the skin. If it begins to brown rapidly rake the coals a bit further away. If it browns too slowly move them closer. Ensure you have a hole or blocks around the coal in order to direct the heat towards the pig, otherwise you're just heating the air. Also, put some of the coals directly under the pig, the dripping burning fat is what will give the pig spectacular flavor.

uhhh... I believe someone forgot to mention that we will be needing pictures of this entire process after it has been done..... It be the law around here.

Good luck on your cook!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom