question about pulled beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dfi

Cook
I have never had super great luck with brisket and we all pretty well like pulled or chopped rather than sliced beef. I am looking for suggestions about cuts of meat to use and method. I did a couple of chuck roasts in a foil pan in my electric smoker that came out pretty good.

I am pretty well open to anyhing if anyone has any ideas

Its real hard to beat brisket. All you have to do it wrap it with some liquid and overcook it and you got mushy beef which can be torn asunder in any direction. Danny Gaulden did a side by side test on clods vs briskets and though the clods yielded a little mo copiously the briskets being a lot cheaper blew it out of the water for all practical purposes including flavor. Anything would beat chuck roast. I hate the texture of that stuff. It comes off in plugs or something.

bigwheel said:
Its real hard to beat brisket. All you have to do it wrap it with some liquid and overcook it and you got mushy beef which can be torn asunder in any direction. Danny Gaulden did a side by side test on clods vs briskets and though the clods yielded a little mo copiously the briskets being a lot cheaper blew it out of the water for all practical purposes including flavor. Anything would beat chuck roast. I hate the texture of that stuff. It comes off in plugs or something.

you peak my interest here....do you wrap it from the begining, at the end.....more details if you don't mind

thanks for the help...i will do my research, give it another try and post my results

sluggo said:
I don't know if it is permitted to link to another site, but I read alot about beef 'clod' other here:http://askabutcher.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Beef&action=display&thread=87

it is tough to find, but you end up with like pulled pork, except it is beef! Much better than a manwitch!

btw, it is absolutely ok to link to other sites here. That's one of the reasons this board
got started....free talk about cooking, with as much info as possible.

Wrap the brisket when it hits around 160-170 in the flat. For the liquid I like Walter Jettons Mop for all BBQ meats. Recipe is floating around all over cyber space. Maybe one on here I forget right now. Put it back on the fire and pull it when you stick it with your gauge and it accidentally goes through both sides of the foil and bumps the bottom of the pit.

dfi said:
bigwheel said:

you peak my interest here....do you wrap it from the begining, at the end.....more details if you don't mind

bigwheel said:
Wrap the brisket when it hits around 160-170 in the flat. For the liquid I like Walter Jettons Mop for all BBQ meats. Recipe is floating around all over cyber space. Maybe one on here I forget right now. Put it back on the fire and pull it when you stick it with your gauge and it accidentally goes through both sides of the foil and bumps the bottom of the pit.

dfi said:
bigwheel said:

If you want pulled beef, stick with chuck. More flavor and cheaper. If you want sliced tender beef, go with the brisket for more $ and less flavor, unless you're talking about the point. I'd eat pulled chuck 10 out of 10 days over sliced brisket.

When folks live North of the Red and East of the Sabine their thinking gets cornfused. They start eating grits and trying to bbq chuck roast etc.

bigwheel said:
When folks live North of the Red and East of the Sabine their thinking gets cornfused. They start eating grits and trying to bbq chuck roast etc.

LOL You Texans are contradictionary (for you Jeff).........Beef Clod is extremely poopular in Texas correctamundo?? And where might you tink the clod come from? Why be it comes from the shoulder also called chuck.....Now when folks live South of the Red and East of the Sabine their thinking is just backasswards and they pull briskets and wear big hats....

Well I aint never even seen a clod let alone try to eat one. It just sounds nasty. Nearly as bad as a knuckle. You can get them peeled if you want.

bigwheel said:
Well I aint never even seen a clod let alone try to eat one. It just sounds nasty. Nearly as bad as a knuckle. You can get them peeled if you want.

LOL, BW!

I smoked a case and a half of clods(about 120#'s IIRC) for a graduation party this yr. Could only fit 1-2 on 1/2 of the CS whole hog smoker. They can weight up around
25#'s each but most around 20#'s. Cut out a bit of silver skin, cut off this "hide" look'n membrane, rub it and throw on the smoker. Worst part is the chuck eye steak part gets over done compared to the rest, but it tastes so good. When I do pulled beef I will probably always use the clod because it's cheaper and you'll have plenty of leftovers to vac pac.

Just my opinion.
img_241483_0_ee966932dbc5e333c424dce7511f46e9.jpg

img_241483_1_45eb291010c60a33cac54b8f72cd7627.jpg

img_241483_2_f1aae70a0aef0958afcae9541ecb0027.jpg

Back
Top Bottom