Pulled Pork on Gas Grill?? Can it be done?!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PulledPorker

Assistant Cook
So every recipe i have seen uses a charcoal or smoker both of which i dont have

sooo i was going to use this link utilizing a gas grill
can you please look over it and tell me if it will produce a good product
basically it says to cook for 4 hours at 325

can someone with experience in this matter please look at this link
http://www.grillingcompanion.com/pulled-pork/

THANKS

The purists among us will shudder, but it ought to work. Sort of. If you can get the temp down below 300, you'll probably have a more tender, juicy product.
One key to making this have a hope of working is to KEEP THE LID CLOSED. Big temp swings from opening up the grill will make the meat tougher than shoe leather. As my BBQ mentor says "If you're lookin', you ain't cookin' "
Go for it. Worst thing that could happen is you have to throw away $20 worth of meat. A cheap lesson. Just don't do the first one for your 4th of July Bash.

Yeah, possible... but not the same. Keep it as low as you can til it hits 160, wrap in foil then finish it a 250 oven. It should have plenty of smoke flavor by then, the rest is just breaking down the connective tissue to make it tender.... Doing it all on the grill til 190-205 might make the bark too hard/dry out. (depending on the grill)

thank you all for the suggestions and replys… we shall see how it works on the 4th bwahahaha

i may consider wrapping it foil and finishing it in the oven as suggested

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
What? WTF. Why bother. What's next? Microwave Q? Bull Shit!!! Get off your dead ass and buy a WSM and do it right!
Lend him your wife's.

another question… instead of cooking it at 325 if i was to cook at a lower temp say 275, how much longer and how much of a difference in taste would result

Scotty is right on the money. Now the problemo is getting enough smoke to it. My gasser aint designed for copious smoke production. I have tried everything feasible but hard to duplicate a real smoker. Now I do mine like this may work for you aint sure depends on how its built. I take out the cooking grate and set a full sized disposable steam table Sam's pan half full of water direct on top of the burners. Then I puts the meat on the upper rack which sorta swings into place once the lid is shut. Light all three burners on low or whutever it takes to keep it ginning along about 275-300 or as you like and start trying to generate some smoke. That makes all the crud from the meat to land in the pan and not in the bottom of the pit. After you have it as smokey as you can get or want it..move it to the oven like Scotty say. I have found it generally not worth messing with and burns up a bunch of propane. Hope this helps.

once again thank you again for all your responses.

with all your experience would be concerned with the final product if you were me trying it on the gas grill or do you think it could turn out well. i am not expecting it to be near the standard of any pit master

Once it's in the oven, the foil should hold in the juices. You should be fine. You can add a lil apple juice/vinegar/BBQ sauce at the the pulling step if needed.

Like we've said, it won't be as good as on a smoker, but it WILL be good. Have faith! Don't forget the slaw!

Keep an eye on it...it's an awful lot of fat that might come off. Don't want a grease fire. the pan under it is a must and keep that end low or off.

Think you should be able to come up with something edible. Mo betta choice would be..instead of trying to cook whole butts get the butcher to slice it up for you or buy one already sliced up. Then slow direct grill the slices..sauce em up etc. That would be whut passes for country style ribs in these parts. Taint bad. Lot more surface area exposed to the flames..cook quicker etc. Better choice for a gasser I think.

Hey all y'all...long time lurker, first time poster.

I'll have to disagree with the opinion that decent pulled pork can't be made on a gas grille. My inlaws are always pestering me for some Q when we visit our home town but no one has a smoker. What they do have is a large gas grille with two burner controls. I have no problem what-so-ever maintaining traditional barbecue temps on my Maverik thermometer (which I travel with in anticipation of this scenario) in the grille by doing an offset burner arrangement and feeding it with aluminum foil wood chip packets. Although, it's not my best pulled pork, everyone who eats it just about goes nuts, since all they've had is store bought pork or crock pot pulled pork. Otherwise, I treat it just like it was in my smoker at home as far as rub and foiling towards the end. Don't be discouraged with trying a grille, just don't try to cook it directly over the flame.

Happy 4th of July....hope everyone has the same number of fingers on July 5th!!!

Andy

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom