Brisket and ABT's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
Put a separated 13lb "select" packer on this morning around 9:30, temps at 178 now. Should be done soon! Picked it up at Wallyworld cause it was convenient for $1.29lb. I'm curious to see how much, if any difference there will be between this one and the one's I've been getting from my butcher for $2.69lb.

Now for the interesting part. I made ABT's with the leftover roadside chicken from last night that I chopped up. Can't wait to see how they turn out!

Bryan S said:
That's too much work Larry. You know you can buy a big box of already made up apetizers at BJ'S. That's what i would have done. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Dinners done!! Well we prefer pork in the ABT's, the chicken wasn't bad, just not as good as pork.

Now onto the brisket. This was a "select" grade brisket vs. the "choice" brisket I normally do. I normally pay $2.69lb for the choice, I paid $1.29lb for this select. IMHO, there was not any difference whatsoever other than the cost. This brisket was just as moist, just as tender as the choice. I'll be doing the selects until I can tell a difference. I chopped the point and sliced the flat. Here's a couple pic's.

Wow Larry, that brisket looks great. What was the knife in the photo? I'm trying to control an urge to buy a new knife of the type in your photo. Don't even know the name of that style of knife. But in case I fall off the wagon and have a visit with Mr. Amazon, what's your's and how do you like it?

Griff

Griff said:
Wow Larry, that brisket looks great. What was the knife in the photo? I'm trying to control an urge to buy a new knife of the type in your photo. Don't even know the name of that style of knife. But in case I fall off the wagon and have a visit with Mr. Amazon, what's your's and how do you like it?

Griff

Griff,
It's a serated Wustof bread knife, it works better than any carving knife in my opinion.

Larry Wolfe said:
Griff said:

Griff

Griff,
It's a serated Wustof bread knife, it works better than any carving knife in my opinion.

He bought it off of Fatz, in a drunken rage #-o [-X 8-[

Larry that brisket looks so good i'm hangey for some brisket maybe next weekend.

I only wish I could cut my brisket that good can I get some lesson.

Jeff E said:
That brisket looks great Larry. I've been shying away from the select briskets at my local Walmart. After your success, I'll have to try one to compare to the choice ones I usually get at Sam's Club.

Jeff I was very cautious towards the select as well, not any more though! However read the package very carefully, some are enhanced!

Thanks Finney!

john pen said:
Larry, any reason for seperating the briscket ?

John, I used to leave them whole but I separated some prior to cooking a couple months ago and really like doing them like that now. It gives a little more area for rub and smoke ring once you remove the point. Plus I'll leave the point on the pit for a couple extra hours longer than the flat to render, then chop. It's either separate before or after. But I definitely prefer to separate them prior to cooking now.

thanks very much I allways what to know how to do this an with all of your help now I know and Knowing is have the battle.

I was thinking that everyone would remanber that line I had forgot it tell my son was born and I was up tell 2 in the morning and was able to see a old cartune.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom