Easter Hams 11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
After curing for a week the Easter Hams are in the smokehouse. 12Hours at 125* then 8 at 145* and then they will ride at 165* till they hit an internal temp of 152*-155*. Should take about 32-36hours. One of the hams is a honey cured ham and the other is a brown sugar cured ham.

I will be smoking they mostly with Hickory and a touch of Cherry for color and sweetness.

Looks great! 32-36hr smoke? Thats gonna take alot of beer and snacks!

We added a little pastrami to the mix. While at work last night I was troubled by the fact the smokehouse looked empty with only 2 20lb hams....Then it hit me a quick pastrami would work just fine with the smoke cycles. A quick call to the mrs this early am and a store cured brisket was on it's way.

I get some of my best ideas at work...wonder why that is....

dear god...it's only a 7hr drive. although with the price of gas its probably easier and cheaper to take a 45min flight from westchester airport. I'll be there! lol

Hey wittdog . . . you the Man. I'm not a big fan of ham but that smoke house looks nuts! Do you have more photos you could share? Also, do you have a good recipe for Italian sweet sausage? I've looked on-line but at my skill level, I can't separate the chafe from the wheat, if you know what I mean?

Lew here is a link to the whole building of the smokehouse there are some pics of the process viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12895&start=0

I've tried a bunch of Italitan sauasage recipes and in my opinion the best is the KISS method...I tried adding garlic and other stuff but this is what I prefer...if you want to make it hot just add 1TB Hot Pepper Flakes or more to taste and a little cayanee
10lb ground pork
4TB salt
2 cups ice water
1TB fennel seed
2tsp coarse black pepper
1TB sugar
I usually heap the fennel seed

wittdog said:
Lew here is a link to the whole building of the smokehouse there are some pics of the process viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12895&start=0

I've tried a bunch of Italitan sauasage recipes and in my opinion the best is the KISS method...I tried adding garlic and other stuff but this is what I prefer...if you want to make it hot just add 1TB Hot Pepper Flakes or more to taste and a little cayanee
10lb ground pork
4TB salt
2 cups ice water
1TB fennel seed
2tsp coarse black pepper
1TB sugar
I usually heap the fennel seed
Thanks Dave. I'm going to try this one out. Loved the slides of your smoke house build. You guys really did a bang-up job.

Back
Top Bottom