Help!!! I'm new here!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Scarl Bart

BBQ'd Beer Chef
Hello to everyone. My name is Steve. I've been grilling forever. I finally realized that it was time to get a WSM. I just bought one. I have been watching videos on the WSM and reading different topics on this page. I've got a great general idea on how to use the WSM but I need help on how long to cook different meats.

What I want to know is how to cook a brisket, london broil, pork butt, ribs, whole chicken, and a whole turkey. What temperature to they need to cook at and for how long according to how many pounds the meat is that I will be smoking.

I thank you all in advance for your help.

Welcome, Steve. Which one do you plan on doing first? I'd suggest the pork butt/boston butt to make pulled pork, easiest imo.

Don't forget the initial burn and to season the WSM first, so very important.

For the boston butt, apply your favorite rub and put it on the smoker. Pit temp can be from 225 up to 300 and you'll be ok. Internal temp of
about 190-200 is the target. Best to go by the feel of the bone, it's done when it will pull out clean. Let it rest and pull it.

Depending on pit temp, can figure 1-1.5hrs/#. Really hard to use a clock, smoke it the day before to make sure it's ready or start early in the morn.

Once you decide what to smoke first, it might be easier to help you then.

Good luck

BigAl's and Buzz's suggestions are great starting points. One thing you'll find out is that the WSM is pretty easy to work with. The only controversy you'll find is whether to put water in the water pan or to fill it with sand. Myself, I put water in it unless I'm shooting for a higher temperature cook above 300 degrees. If that's the case, I just line it with foil to catch the drippings.

Welcome to the forum and have fun. Remember, we all like seeing pictures.

Welcome Steve. The forum here you will find is very helpful. You will get the hang of your smoker only by trial and error. Everything varies with time, temp and weather. Experience will be your best teacher. Not everything will turn out perfect so dont get discouraged in the beginning. Like was said earlier, go to the pork butt first as it seems to be the most forgiving to start with. We have all been beginners so just jump in with both feet and have a great time with it. And again welcome to the forum

Captain Scarl Bart said:
Thanks guys for your help. I'll fire up my smoker this weekend to season it.
Put some food in it and cook. There is no seasoning needed. Cooking in it will provide all the seasoning you'll need

Hi Steve. Glad you made it over here. These folks are a virtual cornucopia of knowledge on how to cook stuff and the WSM's seem to be their favorite tool.

Captain Scarl Bart said:
Hello to everyone. My name is Steve. I've been grilling forever. I finally realized that it was time to get a WSM. I just bought one. I have been watching videos on the WSM and reading different topics on this page. I've got a great general idea on how to use the WSM but I need help on how long to cook different meats.

What I want to know is how to cook a brisket, london broil, pork butt, ribs, whole chicken, and a whole turkey. What temperature to they need to cook at and for how long according to how many pounds the meat is that I will be smoking.

All times are going to be approximate.
Brisket, butt will cook about 1 - 1 1/2 hours per pound. I cook in the 275* range. Finished temps vary but will be close to the 200* range. Feel is how you will tell if it's done.
Chicken, turkey about 20 minutes per pound, just like in the oven. Cook at higher temps 350 - 375* range. Internal temp breast 165* and the thigh 185*.
Ribs 5 - 6 hours. I foil after 3 hours. Open up last hour and sauce the last 20 minutes. Cooking temp 275*. No internal temp, do the bend test.
London Broil I've never done, can't help you there.

All of these are approximate and the way I do it. Doesn't make it right or wrong, just makes it the way I do it. Don't forget to leave yourself a rest period after you cook.

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Captain Scarl Bart":wbwrptnx]Hello to everyone. My name is Steve. I've been grilling forever. I finally realized that it was time to get a WSM. I just bought one. I have been watching videos on the WSM and reading different topics on this page. I've got a great general idea on how to use the WSM but I need help on how long to cook different meats.

All times are going to be approximate.
Brisket, butt will cook about 1 - 1 1/2 hours per pound. I cook in the 275* range. Finished temps vary but will be close to the 200* range. Feel is how you will tell if it's done.
Chicken, turkey about 20 minutes per pound, just like in the oven. Cook at higher temps 350 - 375* range. Internal temp breast 165* and the thigh 185*.
Ribs 5 - 6 hours. I foil after 3 hours. Open up last hour and sauce the last 20 minutes. Cooking temp 275*. No internal temp, do the bend test.
London Broil I've never done, can't help you there.

All of these are approximate and the way I do it. Doesn't make it right or wrong, just makes it the way I do it. Don't forget to leave yourself a rest period after you cook.[/quote:wbwrptnx]

Thanks so much for the information! It really helps.

Thanks everyone for all of your tips! :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom