Smoked Trout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnm1

Assistant Cook
I recently received some fresh trout so I started doing some Google searches on how to smoke them. I ended up with very little usable information so I figured I would do my best and post some information on my own. Here is goes.

The trout were first thawed in cool water and then patted dry. I did not brine the fish. I have brined before but I don’t really feel like it is ever worth the hassle. I got two small kids so free time is at a premium. Plus I am a temperature fanatic. 90% of the quality in my opinion comes from getting the temp right.

So anyway, one fish was stuffed with rosemary and sliced lemon and the other lemon and fennel. Both were given a light sprinkle of rub (powder puff – mostly paprika and sugar and some spices) inside the cavity. The fish were them put in the fridge for two hours to rest/marinate. A sticky skin never formed for me as I had read it would. The skin was dry and smooth. So, right before I put it on the smoker I gave one side a good spray with olive oil.

The fish went on the smoker with pecan wood and cooked for about 90 minutes at around 250-260 degrees. Fish removed when internal temp reached 160. The Fish was hot and needed to rest about 20 minutes. Skin peeled right off. Meat should pull right way from the bones but there more bones than you expect so be careful. The fish was excellent and the grill did not smell like fish afterward so give it a try!

ScottyDaQ said:
Looks great! Did you serve it as a main dish, or on top as a compliment to another?

This was the main dish for 4 plus my 1 and 3 yr old. Sides were some of those microwave steamers so did not bother to take pictures :)

I actaully de-boned for my quests at the table and ended up searving mostly large chunks as the meat fell apart. A little more practice and I could problably get most of the meat out in one piece.

Dear John,

Great idear on the trout. Glad you pointed out them is about the boniest species of fish on record short of carp.

Among all of the different kinds of fish however, one stands out as an incredible meal, and that is smoked trout. And this is my kind of real fast food: a smoked trout salad, which is especially perfect for summer. I have just prepared the potted smoked trout with 140 grams of the butter and the lemon juice and zest into a mixing bowl.

Back
Top Bottom