smoked some whole chickens last night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sluggo

Cook
got a couple whole chickens, rubbed with a little EVOO, threw on some poultry seasoning from the Sam's club, put in on the Traeger at 300 for 2 1/2-3 hrs, temps came up nicely and here yah go....

img_233315_0_fb32a096befdc29dbda7ebc57ee2aa45.jpg

took them out for a little rest....
img_233315_1_8a5b5ad795bb030fe59b943f19163aaa.jpg

I know some may like it darker, but just rub more oil on them or turn the heat up at the end, but the temps were 165 in the breast and 180 in the leg so I guess that is okay, if anything maybe a little high.

I vote you get a better camera, Sluggo! ;) :LOL:

They look good. We don't care for the skin and I suck at crisp'n it up so we just don't eat it. Chicken tacos sound good to me.

What pellets did you use? What do you usually use? I'm a pellet pooper, too. Right now I either go w/mesquite or a mix of
hickory and cherry. Mesquite or pecan are my fav's.

Thanks for the pix, Slug!

BigAL said:
I vote you get a better camera, Sluggo! ;) :LOL:

They look good. We don't care for the skin and I suck at crisp'n it up so we just don't eat it. Chicken tacos sound good to me.

What pellets did you use? What do you usually use? I'm a pellet pooper, too. Right now I either go w/mesquite or a mix of
hickory and cherry. Mesquite or pecan are my fav's.

Thanks for the pix, Slug!
I have a better camera, but I usually am too busy cooking to remember it!! So I just pull out the iphone and snap away!! Plus more often than not, I open the thing during the smoke cycle and so that is why the pics turn out blurry!!
as far as the wood, I have mostly alder, cherry and oak, and I can't really tell a difference, so I grab whatever bag is handy and go from there!! Maybe i should be more carefull!!

Did you stuff them with anything? They look inflated on the grill... maybe you have a special stand? Let me know, thanks!

johnm said:
Did you stuff them with anything? They look inflated on the grill... maybe you have a special stand? Let me know, thanks!
no I put a piece of onion in the cavity, but that was it, they may looked pumped so much because Sam's have probably have so much chicken broth pumped into it that it looks pumped!!

Back
Top Bottom