Anyone Have Mustard Recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3 Olives

Senior Cook
I've had some good mustards but nothing great. I'd like some recommendations. My favorites had bite and heat.
Thanks!

I like Frenchies Spicy brown. Yum yum. Also easy to find. Ploshmans Stone Ground etc. Do anybody have any Grey Poupon?

bigwheel

Yes mustard is easy to make. Babies even make it in their Pampers sometimes.

bigwheel

Webers
We also make our own mustard here is the recipe
Spicy German Mustard
1/4 Cup Brown Mustard -- ground
5 Tablespoons Dry Mustard
1/3 Cup Hot Water
3/4 Cup Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Cold Water
2 Large Shallots -- sliced thin
1 Stalk Celery -- sliced
2 Cloves Garlic -- sliced
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar, Packed
1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon Allspice
1/4 Teaspoon Dill Seed
1/8 Teaspoon Tarragon
1/8 Teaspoon Cloves
1/8 Teaspoon Turmeric
1 Teaspoon Prepared Horseradish

If necessary, grind the brown mustard seed.

In a small, non-reactive mixing bowl, combine the mustard seed and dry mustard. Add the 1/3 cup hot water and 1/4 cup of the vinegar. Cover and let the mixture rest for about three hours.

In a non-reactive measuring cup or small bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup of vinegar and 2 tablespoons of cold water. Add the brown sugar and salt and stir to dissolve.

In a 1- to 2-quart non-reactive saucepan, combine the vinegar mixture and all remaining ingredients except the horseradish. Cover and bring to a boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and let it stand for one hour to make an infusion.

Press the infusion through a strainer into a food processor. Discard all solid remains. (I take the shallots, celery and garlic and chop them up as a quick relish.)

Add the mustard mixture to the food processor and process to the desired consistency - this can take three or four minutes. Some prefer a coarser texture, others a smooth paste.

Place the mixture in the top of a double boiler and cook over simmering water 25 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.

Stir in horseradish.

Ladle mustard into a sterilized jar, cap tightly, label and refrigerate. Will keep for about 6 weeks. Makes about 1 cup.

NOTES : You can use white distilled vinegar, cider vinegar, white wine vinegar or champagne vinegar for this recipe. Do not use red wine vinegar or malt vinegar.

Back
Top Bottom