Brining Ribs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbquzz

Master Chef
I was watching a TLC show "Best Food Ever, Buzzworthy BBQ Countdown Top 10" The #2 spot in the country was a place on the west side of Chicago called "Fat Willy's Rib Shack" and they brine their ribs in garlic, salt, citrus, 12 herbs and spices and AJ ... they brine for 24 hours??? I did a little Google searching, but could find nothing close this this idea. Has anybody heard of doing this?

Bigwheel the #1 spot was in Lexington Texas, Snow's BBQ, they are only open Saturday, 8:00AM 'till sold out.

If you have 42 minutes and want to watch the show here it is:

[vimeo:1ad7s0dr]http://www.vimeo.com/19074355[/vimeo:1ad7s0dr]

I've heard of that myself. I was watching a competition on TV where one of the major competitors did a rib brine like that prior to smoking. It was this guys trade secret and no one else there had done that. Can't remember who this was but it was real interesting to watch.

If it were necessary to brine to get moist and tender ribs cooked on my WSM, I'd take the advice that Larry Wolfe so often gives to others and shoot myself. JMO.

DaveG said:
If it were necessary to brine to get moist and tender ribs cooked on my WSM, I'd take the advice that Larry Wolfe so often gives to others and shoot myself. JMO.
+1
If I wanted cured pork, I woulda bought a ham in the first place.

I have heard of Marinating Ribs but never Brining. Can't imagine there is any benefit. But it was a TV Cooking show so anything is possible.

I agree, when in doubt shoot yourself........

GAY FORUMS will ban you for saying that.

With all that said.......I didn't watch the video, but you can 'flavor' brine to add flavor, just a weak brine with lots of flavor, basically marinating. Or you can 'brine' to add moisture. In either case, ribs are thin enough to get the flavor in with a rub and/or a sauce. If you can't do it that way, pull the trigger.

Well have survived several cyber threads on rib brining over the years. After doing a lot of investigative work decided the factory brined/pumped Hormel's from Super Target packs the best bang for the buck. No need to brine those over again yet another time. Put some bucks in your pocket. The judges love em.

bigwheel

Most ribs that obtained through the markets are brined already. In a solution of,then so much%, will be the caption. If you get closer to the butcher, in relationship to purchase, brining is a great way to add many qualities. Flavor, tenderness, looks are just some. Some of the best rib guys use this method to win contests with. You do not need to, but don't disregard if you haven't tried.It's all in the salt content and all brines need not be water only.With all that said,brining is just another option, not the only way.Steve.

Back
Top Bottom