Garlic Bomb!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey Lew

Head Chef
I bought a large bag of peeled garlic cloves at my local Costco and thought I would be real smart and vacuum seal most of it for future use. I sealed up three bags of the cloves using my Food Saver and held a small portion in reserve for immediate use.

With the bags of garlic sealed nice and tight, I put them on a bottom shelf of my fridge for a long winter's nap. After about one week of resting, my wife asked me why I was storing balloons of garlic in the fridge. I guess garlic is one of those strange elements that can sustain itself in an oxygen free environment by creating it's own atmosphere.

My question to you more wise and experienced forum members is how do you store and preserve peeled garlic without freezing or adding Beno to the bag? Answer appreciated ASAP before bag explodes.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

That's hilarious Lew! I buy the ones in the veggie dept. They come in a zip lock bag and there are individual vacuumed sealed pouches with 3 to 4 cloves per pack. They last about two or three weeks. I have never been successful at storing it.

Interesting .... Veeeerrrry Interesting I will be anxious to see the answer to this question!

I'll take this opportunity from within your post to say THANK YOU so much for spearheading the Secret Santa 2010. Your efforts are certainly appreciated it seems it was a big success THANK YOU Lew!!!

Well I've used tons of garlic in the jar and it aint the same as fresh garlic course nothing else is either. Shoulda just hung them wove packages up in the coolest driest airiest spot you could find and prob last a good while as in two or three weeks maybe. Would work best if it wasnt peeled. That dont help matters. Until the garlic or any raw vegetative material I ever heard of has been heated enough to kill it as in forcing it to stop any enzyme action it will be constantly out pouring various gases. Thats why most formulas for freezing call for blanching prior to freezing so as to stop the enzyme action. It continues even though the product is frozen solid. The food is effectively dead at about 140f.

bigwheel

That's interesting......

I love garlic....

I use fresh garlic (in larger than average quantities) in my recipes each week. It's antibacterial and antiviral properties keep me and my family healthy. I swear by it.

My wife, kids and I haven't had a cold in two years.....and the kids have missed ZERO days of school due to illness last year and this year so far. Unfortunately.....there was a death in my family earlier this year and we had to leave town - so they missed the perfect attendance award handed out each year.

So far..so good this year.

We take garlic pills twice a day and I eat it raw any chance I get. Also dont forget the fish Oil capsules..undenatured whey protein..2,000 mg of C etc. My house looks like a health food store. Thats whut keep a person looking young and handsome.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
We take garlic pills twice a day and I eat it raw any chance I get. Also dont forget the fish Oil capsules..undenatured whey protein..2,000 mg of C etc. My house looks like a health food store. Thats whut keep a person looking young and handsome.

bigwheel

Hey sarge lets see a mug shot of yer self???

Hey I done that foolish evil deed not long ago. Surely some glutton for punishment saved it and can post it again or give a link to the original message. I dont know how to post pics on here. Think I direct mailed it to some good Samaitan type and they posted it. Can assure you I am very handsome. Seems like maybe it was...Cappy. Or somebody similar. If they find it I have lost a bunch of weight since the pic was taken. I would send a new one but my camera is broke. Hey..I have one with me and Glenn Beck which I could send to somebody. I also got the one with me and Kelli Pickler. Let me know. They are five bucks each.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom