Liquor laws?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollarbill

Head Chef
Anyone know what the law is if you are serving liquor at an event that the customer buys?

If I open the wine & beer and pour it and then hand it to someone, am I responsible if they get in an accident? thanks.

Nick Prochilo said:
With the lawyers (Sorry Griff) the way they are, if your at the party your going to court!

hahahaaahaa!

Ya, I just want to make sure I will not be responsible for anything otherwise I will not be the one opening and handing out the beer & wine.

These kind of laws vary greatly from state to state. In Alaska social hosts cannot be sued, but those that charge can be sued.

Griff said:
These kind of laws vary greatly from state to state. In Alaska social hosts cannot be sued, but those that charge can be sued.

Thanks Griff. My wife is going to ask the attorneys at work what the rules are on Mon.

What your opinion about accepting tips? Would that be considered pay?

At the big Special Olympics IBCA cookoff which is commonly held in my balliwick...have seen industrious folks offer up free drinks and set up a big tip jar. This is usually in conjunction with a band for some reason. Now they use the same system on the fried catfish. It strictly free but they go heavy on the tip incentive to the eaters. First year they come up with about 7 K which got dumped into the kitty. Think the cooks caught the catfish themselves so expenses was low. This was for a worthy cause so folks knew where the tip money was going. Now for folks trying to make money for themselves you might want to contact a lawyer to draw you up a non profit corporation deal which is devoted to the worthy cause of your choice. One possibility is like one I seen in a magazine article called the National Charliehorse Foundation. Had a big photo of a very purty large bosomed lady who had her arm in a sling with the slogan underneath which say..Charliehorses Hurt. You pay yourself to be executive director etc. The lawyer will splains it all.

bigwheel

I don't touch any form of alcohol at any event I am catering.... oh wait, is Consumption considered touching.... ok... I will not SERVE alcohol at any event.

If I am charging for food, I don't want to be linked in any way to alcohol serving because I don't have a liquor licence.

but yes... liquor laws vary from state to state

THats kinda where i'm at Gary. I was asked if I could bring an extra server to the gig to serve the alcohol. He said he will by it all and all I would have to do is open beer and pour wine. I just want to get the facts before I go and do it, if I do it.

That is what i am trying to avoid... I get what you are saying Nick. If you take a look at what Griff said it might be worh the time/money. However if anything was to happen to anyone, everyone will be called to court. ............no? Thats why i'm here askin.......Ill wait for the answer tomorrow I guess. Ill let you guys know what the law is here.

If you served the alcohol, or paid the person to serve the alcohol you will be going to court. You will have to hire a lawyer to defend you, whether you win or lose, you will be paying a lawyer. Stick to the food, you have enough of a liability issue with that.

Back
Top Bottom