Who wants to help the new guy with RIBS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Massey Q

Cook
I picked up a pack of baby backs from Sam's club on Friday and I need someone to help me. I plan on smoking them on Sunday for dinner. What is the most successful way to prep and cook these ribs. I want to do a dry rub and a minimal glaze on them when I cook them. I am a big fan of the Memphis style and I don't like a lot of sause on them.

So with all that being said.
What rub should I make?
Should I brine them first?
Should I make them all different?

Your help would be great.

I most of the time give my ribs a quick rinse with vinegar. Peal the membrane off, dust them down with pig powder or what ever rub I have on hand. I don't sauce them at all. Sauce is always on the side. No flipping, I just plop them on the WSM no water pan, bone side down at 250-275f and let them roll for about 4 hrs. yank them off and foil (some times) It's not as hard as you think. Hope this helps.

Pigs

Don't brine.
Here's a generic rub that works on ribs well.
1/4 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
Smoke at 225 for 3 hours, wrap in foil with a little apple juice for 45 minutes to an hour (if you want them falling off the bone/mushy, allow more time in foil), finish naked for .... Until a toothpick goes into the meat like warm butter (they're done when they're done). add a light layer of sauce (Sweet Baby Rays).
Let them rest for 20 minutes or so before slicing.
Throw em on a hot grill if you want a lil bark to em.

Here is my version of a very basic Memphis-style rub:

Ingredients
3 Tbsp Dark brown sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp Garlic salt
2 tsp Ground black pepper
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp New Mexico chili powder
1 tsp Ground cumin

Method
Combine all of the ingredients in a small mixing bowl.

Blend the rub ingredients well (I use a whisk).

Dust both sides of the ribs liberally and press (don't rub) it into the meat
30 minutes before they go on.

-----

I hope this helps,
John

...and a simple sauce:

Ingredients
1 cup Ketchup
1/4 cup Worcestershire
1/4 cup Golden brown sugar
1/4 cup Honey
1/8 cup Cider vinegar
1/8 cup Mustard
1 Tbsp Hot sauce
2 tsp Granulated onion
1/2 tsp Granulated garlic

Method
Mix all ingredients in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.

Bring just to a boil.

Remove from the heat and cool.

-----
John

ScottyDaQ said:
Don't brine.
Here's a generic rub that works on ribs well.
1/4 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
Smoke at 225 for 3 hours, wrap in foil with a little apple juice for 45 minutes to an hour (if you want them falling off the bone/mushy, allow more time in foil), finish naked for .... Until a toothpick goes into the meat like warm butter (they're done when they're done). add a light layer of sauce (Sweet Baby Rays).
Let them rest for 20 minutes or so before slicing.
Throw em on a hot grill if you want a lil bark to em.

Cinnamon is good for desserts and toast, who in the world would put Cinnamon in a rub, that's absurd! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Larry Wolfe said:
Cinnamon is good for desserts and toast, who in the world would put Cinnamon in a rub, that's absurd! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Uh, my competition rub has cinnamon and allspice (as does my sauce), and I
think my competition record shows that it works well.

John

PatioDaddio said:
Larry Wolfe said:

John

Uh, Oh, sorry bro. I missed the episode of BBQ Pitmaster's that you were on. had I seen it, I would have known about your Competition Record. Is there a separate room in your palace for your trophies, or do you just give them away now that you have so many?

I should try cinnamon in a rub....I would have never thought cinnamon was good in a rub! Thanks for the advice bro! :LOL:

BTW, I'm not a Chef or Competitor like you, but doesn't Allspice already have cinnamon in it? I could be wrong, but if it does, why would you put more in?

Nick Prochilo said:
Cinnamon in a rub! Who da thunk that?
Your a freaking genius!

Nick, as previously stated.....it's you're not your. How many times do you have to be told??

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":jszyrovr]Cinnamon in a rub! Who da thunk that?
Your a freaking genius!

Nick, as previously stated.....it's you're not your. How many times do you have to be told??[/quote:jszyrovr]
Your right!

Larry Wolfe said:
PatioDaddio said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":smdk4j49]Cinnamon is good for desserts and toast, who in the world would put Cinnamon in a rub, that's absurd! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

John

Uh, Oh, sorry bro. I missed the episode of BBQ Pitmaster's that you were on. had I seen it, I would have known about your Competition Record. Is there a separate room in your palace for your trophies, or do you just give them away now that you have so many?

I should try cinnamon in a rub....I would have never thought cinnamon was good in a rub! Thanks for the advice bro! :LOL:

BTW, I'm not a Chef or Competitor like you, but doesn't Allspice already have cinnamon in it? I could be wrong, but if it does, why would you put more in?[/quote:smdk4j49]
No, allspice is a berry that is dried and ground.

John

Have you guys ever heard of Ray Lampe? He uses cinnamon in rub. Oh, and
perhaps ironically, Rendezvous uses allspice in their rib rub.

Just sayin'...

John

PatioDaddio said:
Have you guys ever heard of Ray Lampe? He uses cinnamon in rub. Oh, and
perhaps ironically, Rendezvous uses allspice in their rib rub.

Just sayin'...

John

You are correct on the Allspice, I got cornfused with Five Spice Powder. My bad bro!

Ray Lampe, never heard of him, but I know a Jim Lampe from TVWBB, any kin? I once had a Rendezvous with this girl, but never heard of Rendezvous BBQ...... :mrgreen: The more you post the more I learn Bro, thank you! You are certainly a Wealth and I mean Wealth of knowledge. Do you know Mike Hedrick? I heard he lost something and is still looking for it, you may be able to help. Let me know if you know him.

Wow it is getting a bit spicy in here.

I am about 1:30 in on my 3 hour smoke. I am having a hard time with temps again this time it's not hot enough. That is a good thing though, it will just take a bit longer.

I followed Joe's advise next time I am going to try John's recommendation.

Massey Q said:
Wow it is getting a bit spicy in here.

I am about 1:30 in on my 3 hour smoke. I am having a hard time with temps again this time it's not hot enough. That is a good thing though, it will just take a bit longer.

I followed Joe's advise next time I am going to try John's recommendation.
Yeah, I'm sorry for contributing to the hijacking of this thread. :?

I'll shut up now.

John

Back
Top Bottom