PITMASTERS Yes or No?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll give two pros and cons on this:

Pros:
  • Myron and Warren definitely brought some personality to the show.[/*:m:pf9jatam]
  • Definitely looked like some very good food.[/*:m:pf9jatam]

Cons:
  • Felt too much like Food Network's "Chopped" -- yet another food competition show.[/*:m:pf9jatam]
  • Would like to have seen more interaction between teams... and maybe more teams in the episode.[/*:m:pf9jatam]

Entertainment - Yes

a good BBQ show - NO

I will continue to watch because I enjoy cooking all sorts of things and it will be interesting to see how teams handle what is thrown at them. Also I am looking forward to seeing some people I know personally. Even though, I know that much of it is staged for TV

that's just my $0.02

Ugh, it was hard to watch. By the time they were halfway with the catfish, I was just listening to the show. This show, for me, falls under the "If you can't say something nice... don't say nothing at all".

from that article...

Initial feedback on the show's Facebook page and on barbecue message boards has been almost unanimously violently negative as the barbecue purists and competition teams complain about forcing the cooks to make catfish and coleslaw. KCBS judgings compete with four meats, pork shoulder, pork ribs, beef brisket, and chicken, usually thighs. Sadly, many competitors think that is all there is to barbecue.

The critics sound a lot like footballs fans who complain about the fact that kickers are allowed to score points. Well this barbecue lover thinks that it is prefectly fair to make the contestants prove they can cook more than four meats before they can take home the $100,000 first prize check. In fact, coleslaw, cornbread, beans, potato salad, garlic bread, mint juleps, and peach cobbler ought to be required to even be called a serious barbecue cook. The marketing peole at TLC should not call these people "chefs", a professional title reserved for culinary artisans with a full repertoire.

Man I hate to say this, because I checked when the show rolled out last year...but if there was this kind of posting from the folks during season 1 with positive reviews perhaps the format wouldn't have changed as much...or perhaps it wouldn't have made a difference at all.

Maybe there is an opportunity for REMPEVISION ... BBQ Central gives you "The BBQ Competitor!" You have pioneered great internet BBQ radio, seems like the next horizon is internet TV. Give the people what they really want Greg!

Greg Rempe said:
Man I hate to say this, because I checked when the show rolled out last year...but if there was this kind of posting from the folks during season 1 with positive reviews perhaps the format wouldn't have changed as much...or perhaps it wouldn't have made a difference at all.

Don't think that is a fair statement. I may be wrong but it seems the show was well received save the constant 'bleeping' of Myron and even that was just a few people complaining and a bunch more answering that complaint with basically 'get over it'. Other than that complaint I can't remember anyone that didn't like the content/format of Season 1.
I do remember a lot of conversations of people saying friends were asking about BBQ and comps specifically because of the show. I doubt this new 'showdown' format is going to generate more than passing interest in cooking and probably not even that.

Well for me, I thought it was a decent cooking show. Is it a representation of a KCBS or MIM/MBN competition, no. But they are not very interesting anyhow, unless you are competing. And yes, if you want to sell ads, you have to have viewers. I think they are trying to sell ads first, (to make money of course), then give the general population a glimpse of BBQ and competition,not a BBQ competition. I dont watch the other shows, Chopped, Top Chef, etc. I will watch this show because I have met some of the folks on the show, and some are friends.
Now the catfish, cole slaw deal. I dont have a problem with a team being eliminated, it is "pit" masters not BBQ masters. Now the slaw, sounds like the guy in 1st and 2nd cooked some really good pork and when you add the cole slaw score in, Moe scored better. Nothing wrong with that. Around here, slaw is a staple with BBQ. And I didnt hear them say, "you have to turn in Pork that is pulled". Im sure the rules were discussed before hand and what was turned in was legal. Think folks are nit picking because they didnt like the show. Yes I will watch it next week. I really think Chris Lilly was ahead of his time Very Happy , I enjoyed his shows as well.

Initially I thought it was not really that good and thought "Why are they cooking catfish and cole slaw?" Then it dawned on me. When I do a comp I have to eat and always bring something besides my meat to turn in so my friends and I can eat. Since I don't bring my kitchen with me all this 'extra stuff' gets cooked on, guess what, a bbq pit. Thus the term 'Pitmaster.' I don't know about you guys, but what I like and what the Judges like are two different things.

All they are doing is proving that you can cook just about anything on a good pit of some kind if you know how to make the pit do what you need it to do using the right equipment to get it done.

I'll watch it again. And when they require them to do a dessert then I will perk up even more.

Back
Top Bottom