Wolfe Rub Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
Just put on two racks of spares rubbed with WolfeRub, that I trimmed and put the trimmings on the bottom grate. Decided to use water for some reason vs. sand for this cook. To my amazement, my Weber water pan has a very small hole in it and was leaking water into my coals. I switched it out and put the Charbroil charcoal pan in. Has anyone else that normally used sand run into this problem? Maybe the sand has some corrosive properties in it that one should be aware of. Anyways, here's a couple pics of the beginning product.

Looks good Larry. How did they come out? Ya know, I've never done ribs flat like that. I've either used a rack or rolled them and placed vertical. I usually grill my trimmings, which I filet first. Tastes like McRibs sandwich.

6 Hours later the spares are done along with the trimmings. I also pulled the chicken from last night and seasoned with a little Head Country Rub and Original and Hot BBQ Sauce. (Thanks B.S. 8-[ 0)

Cruising said:
That little girl is a gem!

The food don't look bad either.

Thanks Cruising, she's the reason I wake up in the mornings!!!

Nick Prochilo said:
Where did the pulled pork come from? Your daughters as cute as a button. Yeah I know...she looks like you but shes cute!

Nick, the stuff in the pan is the Roadside Chicken from last night that I sauced.

Cruising said:
Larry -

Did you put the ribs and stuff under a broiler for the glaze? They look richer in the silver pan than coming off the bbq. What did you do?

No, the pic in the WSM was right when I sauced. The last pic was after I finished them on the WSM at a higher heat. I didn't take a pic while they were still on the cooker cause a storm was just about to let loose.

Cruising said:
What temp are you finishing them at? They looked soooo good!

Cruising, I do a modified 3-2-1 method except it's more like 4-1-1. I cook directly on the cooker for "about" 4 hours (give or take until I think they should be foiled), then I'll foil for no more than 1 hour, then I stir the coals (while the ribs are still foiled) then open all vents, unwrap the ribs, sauce and leave alone for 1 hour. This seems to work to my liking. I don't really worry about the temp, but it's usually over 275* at the dome.

Nick Prochilo said:
I don't foil for 2 hours either. Ribs are too mushy for me like that. Larry, do you cook the whole cook at 275 or just after you unfoil?

Nick, I'm not real finnicky with the temps. If I get a dome temp between 215 and 250, give or take a few degrees I'm happy. If you go by precise temps you'll drive yourself nuts. I know I used to! But to answer your question, after I unfoil I just get the temp higher than 250. It tends to stay just above 275 towards the end of a rib cook wide open.

Yeah, I don't try for precision temps either (even with a guru). I also don't trust any therms except my thermopen, so I just use the others for a guide, get me close and lt the thermopen finish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom