Smoked Garlic whips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As Hoss no doubt knows white pepper is the spice for mashed potatoes. The difference from black is pretty amazing. People are always surprised when I tell them--they expect me to tell them there is some exotic spices in my mashed--nope, just white pepper instead of black.

Celery seed works with potatoes--less is more--and grinding it is a good idea for mashed, whipped, or pureed potatoes. Celery root, cooked separately in chicken stock then pureed with cream and folded into the potatoes is good as well; a fennel bulb done this way is even better, especially as a side for fish

Ahhh, grilling is my favorite approach to fennel. It maintains its flavor but deepens and sweetens, much like onions do when grilled.

Often you need to core a fennel bulb (like you would for cabbage) then cut it into wedges for grilling. If the bilb is small you can skip coring, or wedge it first then see if it needs it.) A skewer or pick is helpful in holding each wedge together. Paint with evoo or clarified, salt lightly, and grill as you would for onions--till caramelized evenly or ln spots. Salt and white pepper to taste, wedges make a nice side or, separated and piled loosely, a nice bed for grilled or smoked fish.

Grilled fennel also combines well with griiled radicchio. Core and prep the radicchio the same way. Grill till browned in spots and wilted--it will lose its vibrant color, unfortunately, but taste great. It takes less time than fennel. Tossed together with a simple balsamic vinaigrette you have another nice side or, alternatively, toss a mesclun-romaine mix with the vinaigrette, top with the grilled fennel and radicchio, and drizzle on a little more dressing for a nice side or first-course salad.

One other idea sine I know you're a tuna fan: Saute some minced celery till soft and add some cooked white beans, a little salt, white pepper, and fresh thyme to taste. Remove from the heat, add a little minced roasted red pepper for color and flavor; reserve. Grill fennel, radicchio, and onion. coarsely chop alll three then fold into the bean mixture. Use this mix at room temp (or heated, if you prefer) as a bed for herb- and pepper-crusted grilled or seared tuna.

Susan Z said:
Ok, thanks! Any inspired sides other than the ones you outlined above for my tasty tuna?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Well. I'm lost.

Any inspired sides

Hoss's whips would be great. If there's no time to smoke garlic, use roasted. Grill the lemon/thyme/evoo-marinated fish then serve it napped with the potatoes and garnish with minced fresh parsley and lemon slices. A side of evoo/butter-wilted fresh spinach with a touch of garlic (Perhaps with some finely chopped toasted pecans stirred in) would be good here, or sauteed swiss chard with a lttle garlic that's drizzled with a little balsamic syrup and topped with minced crisp bacon. A nice salad opener would be halved cherry or grape tomatoes (or chopped big ones) tossed with roasted, grilled, or sauteed fresh sweet corn kernels, fresh basil slivers, cracked pepper, lemon and evoo and served atop a fan of 3 or 4 small romaine leaves ( from the center of the head) that have been lightly coated with a puree of mayo, lemon, and roasted red pepper.

Or marinate in sesame oil with soy, pineapple juice, ginger, garlic, a squeeze of lime , and a few drops of vanilla extract. Garnish the top of the fish with one or two triangles of grilled pineapple and a few grains of red Hawaiian sea salt (!). For a side: Saute some garlic with fresh ginger just till fragrant then add rinsed brown or white jasmine rice. Cook as usual then, just before resting the rice, toss in some finely chopped toasted almonds or pistachios. Recover the pot till just before serving and stir the nuts into the rice. Grill lemon halves with the fish to serve alongside and make an edible plate garnish of a small pile of salt-wilted red cabbage topped with a little finely grated carrot, some fresh mango, and some sliced fresh banana. Lay a small skewer of grilled grape tomatoes over the rice. A nice opening salad would be mesclun tossed with some crisp romaine, sliced hearts of palm (the ones in the glass jars at TJ's are good), and some avocado slices. A ginger-lemonade vinaigrette would be a great dressing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom