back in the catering game

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
a local pizza restaurant wants to offer
my stuff.

It's been a while for me, but right off the top, if you're
getting your butts at around a buck a lb, and cooking
with charcoal, what is your cost to produce a lb of bbq?

Charge two bucks a pound in addition to the cost of the meat and as figgered on the raw weight. That will put money in your pocket. Buck a pound for charity work such as the Wayward Wimmen's Shelter etc.

bigwheel

with shrinkage and fuel & such, I would say the cost per pound of the product is $2.25 - $2.50 depending on what yield you are getting and how much the meat cost is.

I have had costs closer to the $2 mark but that is with large butts (9 lb and getting 55-57% yield), foiling, and a real good raw price.

All kinds of ways to figger it out. Beauty of the cost per lb cooking fee is it dont matter how much the cost of the meat or the yield you still make money. Now back when I was industrious and done this stuff I tried to find the best deal in town and hand picked the briskets butts etc. I splains to the potential customer how many pounds it take to feed so many..waste factor blah blah blah. You get paid off whut it say is the poundage on the register tape (you do the chopping of course hit an extry 50 for that if you want.) The competition on this deal is the bbq joints which there is several within close range of me who will cook raw meat if you bring it to em. Last I checked they charged .75 a pound. Back in the good old days Winn Dixie had a huge upright Southern Pride type knockoff Frederich brand smoker and they would rub and smoke em up for ya for a buck a brisket if you bought it from them..less they knew you then they would do it free. Most times it was .99 CAB packers. Heck of a deal on that one.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom