Nothing says mothers day....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jester1

Senior Cook
..... like two smoked butts. Hahaaaa...

This is my first time using Kosmos pork injection. I injected the two 5.5 pound butts yesterday morning and rubbed them with Wolfes Original last night. Got them on the UDS at 10 this morning.... Counting down the time to eat...!!!

img_218333_0_703bb3a2d38661d0d352a90c6bd1c305.jpg

Awww man...you have stumbled over a valuable truth in that Mama's just aint happy if they are lacking a pig in the parlor. Great job young man.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Awww man...you have stumbled over a valuable truth in that Mama's just aint happy if they are lacking a pig in the parlor. Great job young man.

bigwheel

hahaaa... Luckily we're doing mothers day today instead of tomorrow. I have to leave tomorrow to go out of town for work tomorrow...

I like to foil at 185 with a little apple juice till it gets to 205... Here's a pic as I was foiling..

img_218373_0_5e5f998ef9117e5a5ad95f5041f0e347.jpg

Here's a final pic before everyone devoured the pulled pork...

img_218373_1_28f8ffb6a863e21674943479536749a5.jpg

Now to get a little more into what this smoke was about... The pan with the the blue tape was a butt that came from an organic pig farm. A friend has become obsessed with organic meats and what not.. So this was a test of taste... The final conclusion was that the regular boston butt had a more favorable taste, but that if there wasn't the two siting side by side that there would have been no real objection to the organically fed pig. It probably didn't help that I injected the organically fed butt with Kosmos, but it had to be a fair comparison. Hahaaa...

Hey Jester, I have four butts in the fridge waiting for their turn on my WSM. I bough a box of Kosmo's pork injection for them and was wondering what the general thought is on how soon you inject and rub them down prior to the cook. Sounds like you injected the day before and rubbed them down the night before. Also, what was your choice for liquid to mix with Kosmo's seasoning?

Smokey Lew said:
Hey Jester, I have four butts in the fridge waiting for their turn on my WSM. I bough a box of Kosmo's pork injection for them and was wondering what the general thought is on how soon you inject and rub them down prior to the cook. Sounds like you injected the day before and rubbed them down the night before. Also, what was your choice for liquid to mix with Kosmo's seasoning?

I did inject about 24 hours before and rubbed about 10 hours before... I also added more rub right before thowing them on the smoker. I used apply juice as my liquid with the kosmos. I wanted to use peach nectar, but was cooking for a crowd and had used apple juice based injections before. I had a tough crowd and wanted to go with something somewhat familar.... I will be doing the nectar next time....

Back
Top Bottom