How to dry out your wet Guru.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ROB O

Senior Cook
Ok so I learned the lesson not to use a Guru in wet weather the hard way.

Believe it or not the way to dry it out and get it working again was to put it in the refrigerator for a week. Really.

Apparently the lack of humitity in the fridge dries it out. (Either that or the elves who turn out the light when the door's closed have a side business repairing electronics.)

Anyway.... She's working again. Wish I hadn't promised my family I wouldn't go near anything hot during the Superbowl now.....

What a sad story Rob, I'm glad to hear your Guru is still OK. The Guru should be weatherproof. It's an accessory to an OUTDOOR cooker ... come on product design team, let's think about all the things it could have to endure OUTSIDE.

WD-40 could be helpful too Rob, it was created to dry out electronics, not as the multi-purpose lubricant we all use it as.

Shawn White said:
WD-40 could be helpful too Rob, it was created to dry out electronics, not as the multi-purpose lubricant we all use it as.

Good thought Shawn. Actually I tried to use some spray on electronics cleaner. Some folks call it tuner cleaner. I've used it to clean touchpads on phone, remote controls, and the like.

It didn't work. But...... The refrigerator did :smt038

During the early months of the BBQ Guru, I asked Shotgun Fred if putting a switch on the unit would better serve the ramp feature. He replied that the Guru would loose it's "Weather Resistant" design. (Note the difference between water-resistant and water-proof) I thought that by that statement, he meant that the guru could take a drizzle or very light rain. How bad were the conditions, Rob?

Bill Hays said:
How bad were the conditions, Rob?

It was so wet they tried to reasess my house as having waterfront property.

No. really it was bad well over an inch of rain as I recall.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom