Pulled Pork. Our first warm weekend.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bknox

Head Chef
Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my f
It had been a long depressing winter. We spent Easter in KY with my Mom and it was beautiful. Last weekend was the first warm weekend we had in Illinois and there was a pork butt calling my name.

Finally had some nice weather and knocked the dust off the smoker and cooked an 8lb pork butt for pulled pork sandwiches. I used a rub I have been working on that is excellent on chicken and smaller cuts of pork.

8 lb pork butt, rubbed and reporting for duty
IMG_0451.jpg

Early start. 10 hours plus cook time ahead.
IMG_0452.jpg

Water pan and thermometer (with potato stand) ready to go.
IMG_0456.jpg

10 hours later, maybe more. Internal temp reaching almost 200 degrees. A little darker that I like on the outside but my wife had me in the yard, sans beer, and it got away from me once or twice. Ready to rest before pulling. It was falling apart already.
IMG_0470.jpg

All the sides are ready. Vinegar based bbq sauce, tomato based bbq sauce, cole slaw and pickles (store bought bread and butter).
IMG_0480.jpg

Pulled pork. More like melted in my hands pork.
IMG_0484.jpg

I marinade mine in vinegar based bbq sauce and eat it with tomato based bbq sauce on top with slaw and pickles. Thats just the way I do it. My wife just uses the tomato based sauce.
IMG_0486.jpg

One of my favorite sandwiches.
IMG_0488.jpg

Here are the base recipes for the sauces I make. I added orange and lemon zest and juice to the tomato based sauce just to try something different.

Vinegar based barbecue sauce recipe

1 Cup white vinegar
1 Cup cider vinegar
1/2 Cup packed brown sugar
1 Teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 Tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 Teaspoons salt
1 Teaspoon black pepper

Mix together and let stand overnight. You can also put split fresh chilies in this recipe for really spicy sauce and you can add more sugar if you prefer it sweeter.

Tomato based barbecue sauce recipe

1 Cup ketchup
1 Cup chicken stock
1?4 Cup apple cider vinegar
1 Onion, chopped
3 Cloves crushed and minced garlic
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons molasses
2 Tablespoon dry ground mustard
1 Teaspoon cayenne or one fresh cayenne chili cut into ringlets with seeds

Mix together in a sauce pan and heat to simmer. Simmer 20 minutes and let cool.

Enjoy!
Bryan

Re: Puled Pork. Our first warm weekend.

Looks mighty tasty. Thanks for the sauce recipe.

bigwheel

Great job Bryan... Are you still making videos? I love your videos brother...

SS, To be honest I really want to but have not felt up to it. Since Tim passed I have had a hard to time focusing on anything. Its has been real bad. My kids have been an enormous help. I have a couple things I would like to video but I have a hard time believing anyone wants to watch a depressed cook. I am making a sort of south american rub on a whole, possible split, chicken this weekend. I may try to shoot some tape but will surely take pictures. Thanks for asking.

Back
Top Bottom